Configuring Settings Performance/Caching

Different Cache and Performance settings to improve overall performance

We’d like to be able to toggle between Never and Always depending on our deployment environment. Specifically, in a Docker world I want Never on in production and Always on when developing.

This doesn’t appear to be possible at the moment using environment variables but is flagged for implementation as part of the nominated improvements to configuration:

Getting all the options articulated in environment variables I think is going to be hard and probably not all that useful (see below for config screens) – perhaps, why it’s still not implemented.

My assumption is that higher levels, such as Server act as a simple default for the eventual resource mapping, assuming some sort of implicit resource mapping for files not explicitly mapped.

Server -> Web Context -> Resource Mapping

From our perspective, we only need environment variables to nominate defaults at the top level. We don’t need to nominate specific settings at the web context (of which there can be many) or the resource mapping (of which there are many) levels via the environment.

We are quite happy to set specific values (for example for a resource mapping) via code in the Application.cfc.

I’d make the argument that all we really need is a “top level” default set in the ENV variables:

Using a super simple string like:

For example, you might set this for your development environment via docker-compose.yml like so:

build: ./5.2
   - "8052:8888"

And enforce Never by default using your Dockerfile:

FROM lucee/lucee52:latest
ENV LUCEE_JAVA_OPTS "-Xms512m -Xmx1024m"

Administrator Screens

Server Settings

Web Context Settings

Resource Mapping Specific Settings

Related to this issue, you cannot programmatically set the Inspect template options in Application.cfc:

// "Inspect Templates (CFM/CFC)"/"Web Accessible" setting not supported with application type mappings

The full web interface

You have to “hack the Gibson across state lines” by setting the values you want in the web interface and then copying the underlying XML files in your Dockerfile. This is almost as painful as Angelina’s role as roller-skating hacker.

Some are probably already aware, but for those who are not, I’d like to add to this that setting the inspect template value (or any admin setting, really) is already possible with the CFConfig project. In fact, the CommandBox-based images have a convention whereby any env variable that starts with “cfconfig_” will automatically get picked up and set for you. So this would work today, even on Lucee 4.5:

Using the CLI directly can apply that setting to the server or the web context as desired. And for completeness, this is how you would use CFConfig to set it on a resource mapping.

cfconfig cfmapping save physical=/foo virtual=C:/foo/bar inspectTemplate=never

While this sounds wonderful, I’d like to see Lucee provide native options for configuring the server without the need for third-party extensions.

I’d like to see Lucee provide native options

Yes, for sure. In the meantime however, I’d personally like to see us stop recommending people copy XML files around. It’s heavy fisted and brittle. It was all we had for years, but not any longer.

The default “Inspect Templates” option is one of the very few remaining Lucee settings that can only be configured via changing the XML file – most of the rest can either be changed via Java system properties or Application.cfc.

+1 for native support in Lucee via the LUCEE_INSPECT_TEMPLATES environment variable :smiley:

this is already marked as a urgent feature to add:

@micstriit i notice Inspect Templates is still incomplete. Is there an issue we should be tracking in JIRA that is specific to this feature or is the spreadsheet the best way to keep tracking status of configuration in general?