Windows Server 2012 Install Issue(s)

Background - it is a DEV server that previously had ACF10 and Lucee Express installed (both uninstalled).

I downloaded the installer, version 5.3.3.062. At the end of the install process, I received the message, “Timeout reached waiting for tomcat to start”.

I attempted to start the Apache Tomcat 9.0 Lucee service manually and received the message, “Windows could not start apache tomcat 9.0 lucee on local computer…” I checked the Event Log and it said, “The Apache Tomcat 9.0 Lucee service terminated with service-specific error Incorrect function…”

When I manually run startup.bat from CMD, I get:

c:\lucee\tomcat\bin>startup.bat
Using CATALINA_BASE: “c:\lucee\tomcat”
Using CATALINA_HOME: “c:\lucee\tomcat”
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: “c:\lucee\tomcat\temp”
Using JRE_HOME: “C:\Progra~1\Java\jre1.8.0_231”
Using CLASSPATH: “c:\lucee\tomcat\bin\bootstrap.jar;c:\lucee\tomcat\bin\tomcat-juli.jar”

After this, I can access http://127.0.0.1:8888/lucee/admin/server.cfm?action=overview but obviously, I would like to get the Windows service working.

open the lucee tomcat service control app, check the jvm path is correct?

It appears correct:

The batch file above is using a different JRE path than the service?

Zac, not sure I follow.

while the service config is using the JRE under c:\Lucee\jre

Would you suggest changing the Tomcat properties or the system PATH?

try the batch file with the same path as the service\lucee jre

its a permissions issue.

Add a user with the power users and network services role
add the following registry value so your user can interact with the desktop
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows\NoInteractiveServices is 0
assign the user and password for the service to start up delayed with username / password
Magic :slight_smile:

Hi @bigwhipple,

Did you ever get this windows service to work?

There should be startup logs in the catalina log file in the c:\lucee\tomcat\logs directory that should give you some direction as to why the service isn’t starting on it’s own.

The solution was to ensure the Tomcat Lucee Java settings matched my system settings. I first tried the reverse (as suggested above) but that did not work.

1 Like