Tomcat 9 and OpenJDK 11.0.2

Have been running Lucee (5.3) on Tomcat v9 and OpenJDK 11.0.1 without problem. Tried GA 11.0.2 and get the following error when starting up Tomcat:

SEVERE [main] org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.startInternal A child container failed during start
 java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[mysite.localhost].StandardContext[]]

The root context loads fine, but Tomcat shuts down with the above error when trying to initiate any other hosts in server.xml.

I know this isn’t likely Lucee specific, but wondered if anyone else had issues with 11.0.2 and Tomcat?

Out of curiosity, are you running the latest Tomcat (9.0.16) as well? I had issues directly with Tomcat due to a known issue with that version’s catalina.sh. The fix suggested for the latest version was to use the catalina.sh from 9.0.13. Either way this sounds like a Tomcat issue.

My initial suggestion would be to grab a fresh copy of whatever version you are using and overwrite the JARs in the /lib folder and the contents of /bin. Just be sure to keep you setenv.sh file if you use custom settings there. If you’re using the Windows binary, I imagine the process is similar.

I am having the same issue on 9.0.12 and 9.0.16

I have the same problem adding a VirtualHost to Tomcat (test with 8 and 9).

<Host name="selex.local"  appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
  <Context privileged="true" path="" docBase="D:/lavoro/selex/source-code-html" debug="0" reloadable="true"/>
</Host>

Error log:

24-Jul-2019 13:34:43.732 SEVERE [main] org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.startInternal A child container failed during start
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[selex.local].StandardContext[]]

Any idea?
Many thanks :slight_smile:

My first thought would be to check permissions… what user are you running as?