TAG Meeting Minutes December 9th 8pm UTC

The next scheduled TAG Meeting is December 9th @ 8pm UTC. Any TAG members not in attendance will be tarred and feathered.

Agenda items

• Approve meeting minutes from last meeting. ( http://lang.lucee.org/t/tag-meeting-minutes-november-24th-8pm-utc/259/4 )
  • LDEV-107 add shorthand syntax for cfscript <# … #>
  • LDEV-130 Functions with ? and !
  • LDEV-225 QueryExecute / Query should be able to accept an array as a list param ( :+1: but realistically blocked by LDEV-224 which has been waiting for QA since 24th April 2015 as the same areas of code are affected and my fix for LDEV-224 makes LDEV-225 a lot simpler to implement )
    L* DEV-295 Split Lucee into three different projects (might be a longer discussion this one)
  • LDEV-377 Lucee dialect missing rand* functions
  • Confirm date/time of next meeting

So getting this started how about we go through these tickets that are in the TAG agenda column

LDEV-107 add shorthand syntax for cfscript <# … #>
LDEV-130 Functions with ? and !
LDEV-225 QueryExecute / Query should be able to accept an array as a list param ( :+1: but realistically blocked by LDEV-224 which has been waiting for QA since 24th April 2015 as the same areas of code are affected and my fix for LDEV-224 makes LDEV-225 a lot simpler to implement )
LDEV-295 Split Lucee into three different projects (might be a longer discussion this one)
LDEV-377 Lucee dialect missing rand* functions

Is it OK if you video this one?

1 Like

Any tarring and feathering that occurs will be recorded and links to those videos included in the minutes.

The OP posted on that ticket that it could be closed so we don’t need to vote on this (sentiment seems to be to reject it anyway).

Lucee Technical Advisory Group (TAG)
Meeting 5
Date/Time: 9th December 2015 @ 20:00 UCT
In Attendance: Brad Wood, Sean Corfield, Simon Hooker, Igal Sapir, Micha Offner, Mark Drew
Absent: Kai Koenig, Luis Majano, Dominic Watson

Summary of votes taken in this meeting
Full details of the discussions surrounding these tickets can be found in the minutes below

Meeting minutes

1. Approve meeting minutes from last meeting
  2. Review enhancement tickets
    • A selection of existing proposals and enhancements were selected for review during this TAG meeting. Not all selected tickets were able to be discussed within the time allowed.
    • LDEV-107 add shorthand syntax for cfscript <# … #>
      • Discussion
        • Intended to allow shorthand to replace <cfset … > with <# … #> within a tag-based file similar to other languages short tags
        • Michas comments on the tag are to clarify the meaning of the hashes within CFML vs whether they are outputting or not
        • Hashes force the parser to parse without creating output
        • In a tag environment everything is output so <# #> is suppressing output within rather than <#= #> creating output
        • Hash means “here comes an expression”
        • Concern about adding non-Adobe CFML expressed
        • Colon presented as an alternative to prevent confusion with existing # logic based on lucee script using <: to introduce tags i.e. <: …. :> and <:= … :>
        • How can <: … :> be escaped i.e. if a user wished to express a literal <: foo :>
        • <: foo :>
      • Conclusion
        • A second ticket will be raised to discuss a shorthand for output expression in tags without cfoutput ( LDEV-662 )
        • Vote taken
          • [ 8 votes ] Add LDEV-107 to backlog
          • [ 0 votes ] Reject LDEV-107
          • 1 abstentions
    • LDEV-130 Functions with ? and !
      • Discussion
        • In the languages that allow this it is purely a naming conventiion and function names may contain ? and !. There is nothing special about it.
        • Can interfere with elvis / ternary operators
        • Can already be done with brackets i.e. foo[‘bar?’] = function(){}; foo‘bar?’;
      • Conclusion
        • Vote taken
          • [ 9 votes ] Reject LDEV-130
          • [ 0 votes ] Add LDEV-130 to backlog
          • 0 abstentions
    • LDEV-225 QueryExecute / Query should be able to accept an array as a list param
      • Discussion
        • Short discussion over behavior of list= attribute relating to params with array
        • No real negative expressed
      • Conclusion
        • Vote taken
          • [ 9 votes ] Add LDEV-225 to backlog
          • [ 0 votes ] Reject LDEV-225
          • 0 abstentions
    • LDEV-295 Split Lucee into three different projects
      • Discussion
        • Not easily feasible with the current lucee resource
        • Some value to versioning the lucee language and lucee server to distinguish what version of the lucee language a specific lucee server release supports similar to server.coldfusion.productversion
      • Conclusion
        • A new ticket will be raised to further investigate communicating server and language versions in a given release ( LDEV-663 )
        • Vote taken
          • [ 9 votes ] Reject LDEV-295
          • [ 0 votes ] Add LDEV-295 to backlog
          • 0 abstentions
    • LDEV-377 Lucee dialect missing rand functions*
      • Conclusion
        • Reporter withdrew the ticket prior to the TAG meeting
  3. Date of next meeting 13th January 2016, 20:00 UTC

I apologise for the late posting of these meeting minutes - Simon

Heads-up: the embedded links to Jira in this are malformed. They have path /browser/LDEV-107 rather than /browse/LDEV-107. (“browser” vs “browse”).

Links fixed now @adam_cameron - totally missed that

My votes:

LDEV-107 add shorthand syntax for cfscript <# … #> - yes
LDEV-130 Functions with ? and ! - no
LDEV-225 QueryExecute / Query should be able to accept an array as a list param - yes
LDEV-295 Split Lucee into three different projects - no

Thanks for continuing to offer your transparency on all these issues, Kai.

This is the way the TAG should conduct itself.

1 Like

Yeah! Well done Kai!

See you in the meeting this evening?

My votes:
LDEV-107 add shorthand syntax for cfscript <# … #> - yes
LDEV-130 Functions with ? and ! - no
LDEV-225 QueryExecute / Query should be able to accept an array as a list param - yes
LDEV-295 Split Lucee into three different projects - no

I voted yes on LDEV-107. The other tickets had 9-0 voting so it should be clear we all voted in favor.