Site (domain name) seems stuck somewhere inside ot Tomcat

Here’s the issue. We had domain.com set up as it’s own site in IIS and it ran under Mura. we wanted to merge the sit with another Mura install so they both run under the same install. We’ve done this many times under ACF but never under lucee.

This time, it seems that even if we SHUT OFF the old site in IIS, it STILL RESOLVES AND RENDERS! It would seem that Lucee still has the Web Context stuck and is having that domain running off of the old folder.

We shut down lucee, deleted the folder inside of \lucee\tomcat\conf\Catalina and removed the VIrtual Hoast form IIS altogether an restarted Lucee. Now we get a 404 Tomcat error.

How do you get Lucee / Tomcat to forget a deleted virtual host / domain forever so you can assign it to a new path? This has been driving us crazy for two days.

thanks

Mike

Don’t forget to tell us about your stack!

Windows 2019
11.0.7 (AdoptOpenJDK) 64bit
Apache Tomcat/9.0.35

It is really hard trying to understand what you are saying. I can’t follow all the merged/installation/shutdown site in IIS stuff. And there is no such thing as “forgetting” a virtual host. Maybe you are talking about deleting the configurations created by mod_cfml that point to your
wwwroot docbases for specific IIS sites.

But here is from what I was able to extract from your issue description:

To forget those mod_,cfml created configurations you simply stop Lucee service, delete the w3svcxxx folders in /lucee/tomcat/conf/Catalina/ and restart the service. (Seems that you did that already)

After that, the first request you make with your browser through IIS, mod_cfml should identify any incoming .cfm/.cfc request and recreate the configurations in Tomcat again.

If these are not being created, make sure you are requesting .cfm/.cfc files. That is because if you are using fancy SES URLs with urlRewrite without .cfm/.cfc extensions (like often done with frameworks), mod_cfml will ignore those. Try requesting an .cfm file (even if its an empty file) through IIS and check out if mod_cfml created them by looking into your /lucee/tomcat/conf/Catalina/

1 Like

I agree with @andreas, your post is a little confusing.

This is my take, and if I am wrong then please elaborate.

You have code from ACF that runs 2 domains
Domain1 & Domain 2 work under AFC
Under Lucee, only domain 1 works and domain 2 never is displayed.

Some work arounds
put a Microsoft virtual adapter bound to a private ip for site 1 and another adapter (2) for site 2.
then in IIS make sure you set the bindings for site 1 & 2, then restart IIS and dependent services.

From testing from the same machine
update the HOSTS file with the correct mappings for each site

We are going to try and re-create this as it suddenly started to work, but it seemed that even though we removed the w3svc folder and restarted services, Tomcat would still want to look in the old docroot as defined in root.xml rather than a new one that we defined in IIS.

I suspect that as mod_cfml created these new files in Catalina, it maybe caches that info as well somewhere for a time? I am going to see if I can recreate the problem with a fresh VM since I did so many things over two days something I did could have fixed it and obfuscated the real fix. Thanks for the replies.

Mike

Glad you are making progress.

I don’t think mod_cfml has a cache for that, but I think that configurations keep in Tomcats memory until restarting Tomcat.

When you create a new site in IIS for the first time (say with c:\wwwroot), mod_cfml detects the first cfm request and creates the catalina w3svc* folder with the respective ROOT.xml (pointing to that specific c:\wwwroot). If you change the wwwroot binding in IIS afterwards for that same specific site, mod_cfml won’t update the ROOT.xml file for you. It doesn’t keep those setting in sync because that would have performance issues. I believe that even a restart won’t update that ROOT.xml.

To “forget” or update the settings you need to delete those conf/catalina/w3svc folders/files, restart Tomcat/Lucee and make a request of a .cfm or .cfc template through IIS. Then the new configuration files will be created and take effect.

I greatly appreciate both of your inputs. We did restart Tomcat and IIS a few times and believe it still persisted. Going to try and re-create when I have some time as it’s bugging me why suddenly it seemed to start working for us.

thanks again.

mike

1 Like