Scope Variables in Modern Debug Template?

This may be a stupid question, but HOW do I view the Scope variables (Session, Form, Request, etc.) in the Modern debug template?? I really like the format of the Modern template, but the life of me I can’t figure this out!

What am I missing?? :persevere::confounded:

Thank you!

Lucee 5.3.8.206
CommandBox v5.4.2+00453
Windows 11

Not a stupid question at all! +1 for you to have the guts posting it. I’ve been there too, so here is what I think might help you.

@markdrew has a wonderfull video about setting it all up, which helped me a lot bsck then, including those implicit variables. I think that video is a must to every Lucee cfml developer.

You might find the answer to your question.

If your new to Lucee you might also be confused about setting and debugging in the same web context. Changes in web administrator setting for http://locahost won’t have any effect on http://mydevsite.com.

2 Likes

Hi Andreas, thanks for the reply!

I’m not necessarily “new” to Lucee - I have been using ColdFusion for over 20 years, so I am very familiar with all of the CFML debugging techniques. My question was specifically related to the Modern.cfc Template.

What is interesting however is the video you suggested coincidently showcases the SAME Modern.cfc template in question, and it is completely different than mine! Mainly in the fact that is has the EXACT options that I have been searching for all this time - the Scope Variables!! :persevere:

So NOW what am I missing?? :face_with_spiral_eyes::face_with_spiral_eyes::face_with_spiral_eyes:

HIS:

MINE:

HIS:

MINE:

I would start with what you know from the video

He is running coldbox in October of 2016 on OSX 10.12.3 using lucee 4.5.5.017.

To say that there has been a plethora of changes to Lucee since then is an understatement.

Additionally, safari has changed a lot since then, let alone the use of webkit which powers modern browsers.

the square plus sign, is an expandable item, click it.
Id you like you can mess around with the UI for the debug template and make it look anyway you like.

You may have better luck finding an old VM with a copy of Lucee 4.5.X but looking at the code, it could be a change withe script protection which I believe was introduced in 5.0

Settings:

The Error Page

1 Like

@Terry_Whitney this is the error page, not the debugging page. I know that all the debugging templates after deployment can be found at in the server context, right here:
lucee-server\context\context\admin\debug\
And there you will find the Modern.cfc lucee-server\context\context\admin\debug\Modern.cfc and you will also see thist scope code there.
@PwrSrg Thanks for your very detailed explanation. In my dev environment you could try setting this Modern.cfc the <cfif isEnabled( arguments.custom, "scopes" )> as comment, and add a <cfif true> instead, and it will show you the reference. I’m trying to debug this to see if this is a bug, or something else. If it’s a bug, we should report it to the Lucee dev team.

the feature was removed/disabled as it was causing memory problems

https://luceeserver.atlassian.net/browse/LDEV-2049

https://luceeserver.atlassian.net/browse/LDEV-1990

1 Like

Thanks @andreas -

1 Like

AHHH, ok, then I am NOT crazy, and it IS missing! :upside_down_face:

I thought for sure I had to be missing a simple SETTING somewhere to show/enable the scopes. But I never would have imagined this critical data would have been completely REMOVED.

Too bad it couldn’t have just been “collapse disabled” by default, same as the Simple.cfc template.
But I guess I will just have to stick to the original three templates that have always provided it without issue.

Thank you for the clarification.

we could just renable it for the current request… file a bug :slight_smile:

PwrSrg,
I know I’m a bit late to the game on this one and perhaps you already figured it out, but it’s easy to enable the functionality, since it appears to not have been removed, but disabled (Lucee 5.3.10.97).

In /WEB-INF/lucee-server/context/context/admin/debug/Modern.cfc uncomment

//field(“Scope Variables”,“scopesList”,“”,true,“Enable Scope reporting”,“checkbox”,“Application,CGI,Client,Cookie,Form,Request,Server,Session,URL”)

and change

<cfif isEnabled( arguments.custom, “scopes” )>

to

<cfif isEnabled( arguments.custom, “scopes” ) or True>

and it’s back. Interestingly enough, they are collapse disabled by default. My “server” scope is large and I don’t need to look at it, so it remains collapsed while “form”, “url”, and “request” remain open.