Scheduled tasks flagged as invalid and won't run any longer

#1

I found out today that somehow my scheduled tasks have not been running for the past several days (not sure how long, but a single day is too long). I don’t know what happened, but I got to looking around and found this issue: https://luceeserver.atlassian.net/browse/LDEV-1951 Which looked like solved the problem. I went out and upgraded the box that these tasks were running on, to the latest version. After the upgrade I went to check the tasks, but they were all gone. Great. I had to get all 11 tasks back in. After that I assume everything should be working, but no. The tasks still do not work, and when I log them they simply say “Task is invalid”. What does that mean and how do I get my tasks to run again???

I’m on: Lucee 5.3.2.77.

#2

Are you adding the tasks manually to the Admin? Can you give us a screenshot of your settings?

Are you adding the tasks programmatically (recommended)? Can you give us the code block you use for that?

#3

Here are the logs showing the invalid tasks:

“Severity”,“ThreadID”,“Date”,“Time”,“Application”,“Message”

“ERROR”,“Thread-226162”,“06/11/2019”,“10:00:00”,“schedule task:Send Customer Cellular Plan Confirm Emails”,“Task is not valid”

“ERROR”,“Thread-226140”,“06/11/2019”,“10:00:00”,“schedule task:Standard Plans from SOs Process”,“Task is not valid”

“ERROR”,“Thread-226120”,“06/11/2019”,“10:00:30”,“schedule task:Process Pending Renewal Subscriptions”,“Task is not valid”

“ERROR”,“Thread-226149”,“06/11/2019”,“15:25:00”,“schedule task:Standard Plans from SOs Process”,“Task is not valid”

“ERROR”,“Thread-231481”,“06/11/2019”,“15:30:00”,“schedule task:Standard Plans from SOs Process”,“Task is not valid”

“ERROR”,“Thread-226170”,“06/11/2019”,“15:30:00”,“schedule task:Send Customer Cellular Plan Confirm Emails”,“Task is not valid”

“ERROR”,“Thread-231543”,“06/11/2019”,“15:30:03”,“schedule task:Standard Plans from SOs Process”,“Task is not valid”

“ERROR”,“Thread-226129”,“06/11/2019”,“15:45:30”,“schedule task:Process Pending Renewal Subscriptions”,“Task is not valid”

“ERROR”,“Thread-226236”,“06/11/2019”,“18:30:00”,“schedule task:Data Limit Exceeded Notice”,“Task is not valid”

“ERROR”,“Thread-226240”,“06/11/2019”,“18:30:00”,“schedule task:Data Limit Exceeded Notice”,“Task is not valid”

“ERROR”,“Thread-226251”,“06/11/2019”,“18:40:00”,“schedule task:Data Usage Rate Warning”,“Task is not valid”

“ERROR”,“Thread-226255”,“06/11/2019”,“18:40:00”,“schedule task:Data Usage Rate Warning”,“Task is not valid”

“ERROR”,“Thread-226271”,“06/11/2019”,“19:30:00”,“schedule task:Cellular Subscription - End of Service Notice”,“Task is not valid”

“ERROR”,“Thread-226277”,“06/11/2019”,“19:30:00”,“schedule task:Cellular Subscription - End of Service Notice”,“Task is not valid”

“ERROR”,“Thread-226199”,“06/11/2019”,“21:00:00”,“schedule task:Cell Renewal Notice (60 day)”,“Task is not valid”

“ERROR”,“Thread-226194”,“06/11/2019”,“21:00:00”,“schedule task:Cell Renewal Notice (60 day)”,“Task is not valid”

“ERROR”,“Thread-226215”,“06/11/2019”,“21:10:00”,“schedule task:Cell Renewal Notice (30 day)”,“Task is not valid”

“ERROR”,“Thread-226221”,“06/11/2019”,“21:10:00”,“schedule task:Cell Renewal Notice (30 day)”,“Task is not valid”

“ERROR”,“Thread-226409”,“06/11/2019”,“22:30:00”,“schedule task:Send Monthly Overage Charge Notifications”,“Task is not valid”

#4

Here are the execution settings on my server. I’ve added these manually. The application is on something of a temporary server for the next few weeks. It will move and then the scheduled tasks will be handled in our standard production way (through code). I haven’t had problems with them running up until recently. I have no idea what has changed to cause them all to become invalid.

#5

Did you try bumping the error level for the scheduler.log file under the web administrator?

#6

No. How do I do this?

#7

Look under Settings - > Logging (ps, let us know what was it currently set to?)

#8

currently set to “Error”

#9

ok, as per that task you linked to at the top, if you set it to INFO, you should see more details

#10

Got it. So, I’m seeing warnings now showing a 403 error: “returned response code 403”

I don’t know why it would return a 403. The tasks are hitting pages on the same server. Those pages are accessible without any authentication or other setup that would send a 403.

#11

good, we are getting somewhere!

what happens if you call one of the problem urls via cfhttp?

#12

200 status code - called via cfhttp from same server.

#13

I just tried restarting Lucee. The scheduler logs have one of these for each of the tasks:

“WARN”,“default task-6”,“06/12/2019”,“09:19:03”,“scheduler”,"task [Standard Plans from SOs Process] could not be stopped: at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)

at lucee.commons.io.SystemUtil.wait(SystemUtil.java:680)

at lucee.runtime.schedule.ScheduledTaskThread.sleepEL(ScheduledTaskThread.java:208)

at lucee.runtime.schedule.ScheduledTaskThread._run(ScheduledTaskThread.java:161)

at lucee.runtime.schedule.ScheduledTaskThread.run(ScheduledTaskThread.java:119)

"
The restart doesn’t seem to have helped, however. Still getting a 403 response.

#14

the shutdown errors are a known issue https://luceeserver.atlassian.net/browse/LDEV-2222 but they can be ignored for now, it’s just annoying log spam.

from memory, cfschedule uses a different UA i think than cfhttp does. a 403 is most likely
coming from the webserver rather than lucee/tomcat

#15

I’m beginning to think this as well. I just found out that our server manager recently put NGINX with a web application firewall in front of our servers. This is probably the cause of the 403 errors. I had no idea that had happened, or I would have started there. Thank you much for your time and knowledge, you have been very helpful.

1 Like