Query with cachedwithin breaks valuelist

I have a simple query that returns 2 rows with 2 columns that uses cachedWithin=“.250”
The 1st row value is 2.
The second row value is 1.

I use valuelist(query.col) to obtain a coma separated list.

The results should be “2,1”. but with lucee 6+ it returns “2,1,” (6 commas after 2,1)

If I remove the cachedWithin=“.250” I get the expected result of “2,1”

also, the docs state that valuelist() is deprecated and we should use [QueryColumnData()] (QueryColumnData() :: Lucee Documentation). QueryColumnData() returns an array. I don’t see how this is a replacement for valuelist().

see screenshot: https://breakdownservices-dev.s3.amazonaws.com/temp/support/13719.png

also: If I attempt to use structappend() with the results of the valuelist(). I get java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException Index 66 out of bounds for length 66

lucee.runtime.exp.NativeException: Index 66 out of bounds for length 66
at lucee.runtime.type.QueryColumnImpl.get(QueryColumnImpl.java:306)
at lucee.runtime.functions.query.ValueList.call(ValueList.java:56)
at lucee.runtime.functions.query.ValueList.call(ValueList.java:48)
at search.index_cfm$cf.call(/search/index.cfm:74)
at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl._doInclude(PageContextImpl.java:1059)
at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl._doInclude(PageContextImpl.java:951)
at lucee.runtime.listener.ModernAppListener._onRequest(ModernAppListener.java:220)
at lucee.runtime.listener.ModernAppListener.onRequest(ModernAppListener.java:107)
at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl.execute(PageContextImpl.java:2715)
at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl._execute(PageContextImpl.java:2701)
at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl.executeCFML(PageContextImpl.java:2672)
at lucee.runtime.engine.Request.exe(Request.java:45)
at lucee.runtime.engine.CFMLEngineImpl._service(CFMLEngineImpl.java:1259)
at lucee.runtime.engine.CFMLEngineImpl.serviceCFML(CFMLEngineImpl.java:1205)
at lucee.loader.engine.CFMLEngineWrapper.serviceCFML(CFMLEngineWrapper.java:97)
at lucee.loader.servlet.CFMLServlet.service(CFMLServlet.java:51)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:596)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:209)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:153)
at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:53)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:178)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:153)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:167)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:90)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:492)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:130)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:93)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:74)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:360)
at org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpProcessor.service(AjpProcessor.java:433)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:63)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:926)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1791)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1191)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:659)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:829)
Caused by: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: Index 66 out of bounds for length 66
… 38 more

it also appears that the cached query may get corrupted as once one user/request throws that error every subsequent call to that page throws:
“java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException”
“java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException”
“lucee.runtime.exp.NativeException: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
Caused by: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException”

with no error detail or additional info.

Java Version: 11.0.18 (Eclipse Adoptium) 64bit
Tomcat Version: Apache Tomcat/9.0.72
Lucee Version: 6.0.1.83

Have you tried QueryColumnData().toList(",")

ValueList is deprecated in lucee. Please should use Andreas suggestion above here.

1 Like

I don’t think its actually valuelist(). I think it has something to do with the cache query itself:

lucee.runtime.exp.NativeException: Index 66 out of bounds for length 66
at lucee.runtime.type.QueryColumnImpl.get(QueryColumnImpl.java:306)

is it possible that since this query was cached by lucee 5.4.3.2 and subsequently called by lucee 6.0.1.83 that there is a caching difference between the 2 versions? We run a cluster of 5.4.3.2 vms all hosting the same site. I updated one of the cluster members to 6.0.1.83. That is when the 6.0.1.83 started throwing errors related to that cached query.

I created a test page that calls the same cached query as the one that errors elsewhere and added a try catch and your suggestion to use “QueryColumnData”.

<cftry>
<cfquery datasource="#datasource#" name="vars.qSearchableAgencies" cachedWithin=".250">
<!--- cached for 6 hours --->
SELECT agency_type_id, type_name
FROM dbo.act_agency_type WITH (NOLOCK)
WHERE is_searchable = 1
ORDER BY type_name ASC
</cfquery>

<cfdump var="#vars.qSearchableAgencies#"/>
<cfdump var="#QueryColumnData(vars.qSearchableAgencies,"agency_type_id").tolist(",")#"/>
<cfdump var="#valuelist(vars.qSearchableAgencies.agency_type_id)#"/>
<cfcatch>
<cfdump var="#cfcatch#"/>
</cfcatch>
</cftry>

if I remove cachedWithin=“.250” I get the expected result for both dumps without error. 2,1 & 2,1.

also, If I loop over the cache query:<cfloop query="#vars.qSearchableAgencies#"> #vars.qSearchableAgencies.agency_type_id#<br> </cfloop>
it returns
as expected.

You have a dot in front of the 250, is that by design?

=.250

yes. fraction of a day. 6 hours.

Thats not how that tag works.

you are telling a int value to be a fractual value.

This catchedwithin works off the same tag as createTimeSpan,

so your code should be ```
cachedWithin=" #createTimespan(0, 6, 0, 0)#">

1 Like

what is value returned from #createTimespan(0, 6, 0, 0)#. if I use .250 or createTimespan(0, 6, 0, 0) makes no difference. That is interesting though. In past when you were to call createTimespan(0, 6, 0, 0)
it would return a decimal value. Now it returns the the string “createTimespan(0, 6, 0, 0)”. I don’t think that cfquery cares which one you use. and in my case it doesn’t change the outcome.

CFDocs site claims that CreateTimespan() returns numeric (double), but Lucee docs says it returns Timespan object. A cfoutput will indicate 0.25, but a cfdump will indicate the Timespan value represented as a string, but the return value is indeed a Timespan object. Check your code again and make sure it’s enclosed in ##? It’s entirely possible you already have it enclosed properly, but I just wanted to note the differences in how the function is documented and its cfoutput vs cfdump representations.

without the complete code, or at least a large section to sample, its hard to recreate your error.

Perhaps post the code in a gist from trycf.com as more people looking at it may be able to solve the issue.

The complete code that throws the error is

<cftry>
<cfquery datasource="#datasource#" name="vars.qSearchableAgencies" cachedWithin=".250">
WHERE is_searchable = 1
ORDER BY type_name ASC
</cfquery>

<cfdump var="#QueryColumnData(vars.qSearchableAgencies,"agency_type_id").tolist(",")#"/>
<cfcatch>
</cfcatch>
</cftry>

One thing I noticed though is that this query will not fail immediately but once it does it fails continuously. This has something to do with the lucee update.

It maybe a bug, but it could be a memory leak.

I would look at the underlying java engine, update that as well as the memory state of your server.

Share the code where you’re using CreateTimespan() inside the cachedWithin argument?

same result with CreateTimespan(). it appears that the cached query is corrupt somehow.

<cftry>
<cfquery datasource="#datasource#" name="vars.qSearchableAgencies" cachedWithin="#CreateTimespan(0,6,0,0)#">
WHERE is_searchable = 1
ORDER BY type_name ASC
</cfquery>

<cfcatch>
</cfcatch>
</cftry>

What is interesting as well. is that we have over a thousand valuelist() and cachedwithin queries in our code base and this is the only one that has so far failed.

Hi

What happens if you add in a SQL query a fake column like

SELECT agency_type_id, type_name, 1 AS DummyTest

Run the test twice and see if the result is the same for ValueList? And do both tests with cachedWithin=“#CreateTimespan(0,6,0,0)#” and not your .250 value

If the problem persists, change again the SELECT to make sure it’s a new query and try a different cache lifetime, like 15 minutes.