Process to implement Java 11

Hi,

I have a customer who needs to be on Java 11 so that they can still get Java support. I’ve gone through the process of updating to newer Tomcat editions successfully before, but not having much luck with it this time.

These are the components that I think we need based on compatibility: Lucee 5.3, Java 11,Tomcat 9

Have any of you gone through this process? If so, what steps did you take?

For context, we are currently on 4.5.5.015, Tomcat 8.5 but are testing the process to move to Lucee 5.3.

I updated a server to run Lucee 5.3/Tomcat 9/Java 11 a few months ago. It was much longer since I had upgraded Lucee 4.5 to 5 and Tomcat 8.x to 9 though so things may have changed.

I don’t have the environment in front of me so can’t go into too much detail, but here’s a rundown of what I can think of off the top of my head.

Lucee 4.5 → 5.3: Your mileage may vary because that’s a pretty big step forward. I think some people in the past have suggested to just remove the old version and install a fresh version of Lucee 5.x to save the headaches of trying to migrate 4.5. If it was me, I’d install a stable version of 5.2.x and then update to 5.3 from the admin or dropping in the JAR after.

Tomcat 8.5 → 9: All you should have to do is copy the contents of the /lib and /bin directories of version 9 into your current version’s same directories. Avoid overwriting /bin/setenv.sh if you make use of it in your environment. You may need to compare settings in /conf/server.xml but I don’t think it needs to be touched to work.

Java 11: Whether you use OpenJDK, Oracle or someone else’s variant, I would install that as usual and then update Tomcat’s /bin/setenv.sh (.bat if Windows I believe?) to set JAVA_HOME/JRE_HOME to the Java install’s /bin directory. Since Java 11 doesn’t have a JRE I know I did something slightly different with setting JRE_HOME but can’t remember exactly what. I could follow up on that setting if needed.

Hope that helps.

Latest Tomcat 8.5 is Java 11 compatible. Ran fine when I tested Lucee 5.3 snapshots.
I ran Lucee 5.3, Oracle Java 11, Tomcat 8.5.

That’s great to know that I don’t necessarily need to also upgrade Tomcat. Thanks!

Awesome detail, appreciate it. The Lucee steps for you are pretty much what I did. The Java part is where I think I went wrong. I’ll give this a shot!

On my Windows-Dev-Maschine I have Tomcat 9.0.14 with Lucee 5.2.9.31 and OpenJDK 11 running.
Since i have Java 8 (as default Java-Home) and need to keep it for other programms, i have set Java-Home to the openjdk 11-dir in the catalina.bat.
Its working fine, but i have installed everything for scretch and did not update anything …