OT: I'd like to have some estimate about a mobile app

Any mobile app developers here?

Sorry for the OT.

You can code the backend with a REST API in ColdFusion. For the frontend or the “real” app you could use a JavaScript Framework like Angular, React or Vue.js

Christoph

I appreciate your response, Christoph.

I’ve done the back-end web service with cf for a mobile app before.

My interest is to get a time/effort estimate for the Android mobile app functions by a proficient mobile app developer. Here’s the core mobile app functionality.

Business (use case)
A retail store is interested in looking into using about 3 mobile functions for transactions instead of POS system.

Function 1: takes a picture of the barcode of product just arrived at the store and translates its content, then calls a web service to pass the data, which would capture into a db or text file.

Function 2: at the point of sale, takes a picture of the barcode of a product at the store and translates its content, then calls a web service to pass the data, which would capture it as a sale into a db.

Function 3: at the point of sale, takes a picture of the customer’s credit card, captures its information, then calls a web service to pass the cc data, which would capture into a db.

Thanks.

Based on your input I would guess one week for each function. Analyze, implement, test, deploy.
If you still have to learn the programming language for the app and how to deploy it on Google Play store, the time you will have to spend to finish the app will clearly be much higher.

Christoph

Such Android app would be used internally for a small biz. My own estimate for function 1 would be less than 10 hours, function 2 is identical, so, much less time, function 3 might be a bit challenging.

Thanks for the input tho.

You are correct, function 1 and 2 are quite similar. If you realize the project, have published the app in the app store and have the users instructed to use your app, I wonder if your overall time is around ten hours or around my estimate. Good luck with your project!

Christoph