Lucee5.3 RSA Encryption Issues

Try executing the follow code multiple times on TryCF.com under Lucee 5.LATEST

Why is the output not the same? Is RSA supposed to be deterministic?

writeDump(encrypt('4111111111111111', 'MIIBITANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQEFAAOCAQ4AMIIBCQKCAQB0S7QHU1LXZ13+QHGeH0bH
2djg5Ei1MEoyZvwL7i30Kl/ox7gJjC2TVQeIrWf5HXmXmFRIDzTGVxmlRXii3DoX
N3B54OM8cADKeEqa1MA/EmpAZfSy4GXa2BPKn0vTJar5cQHGw5VoHd2CbLUJx6fd
Up8G4tGHtBRecRd+G4ou7LULZGwzsy+dh0Y5s8ZBsUVfHDcXoCV6subLMtmw9tM7
g5GQssxUP9blW3e/VFGfi9nMf74mNpWHZxemffLoTlH3Haqt7xBV5j0fkrE1MSSA
tqUdOhcgoW/58sPWd3YZwwL7VOAO0dPHve2X7rH11BJOq+LFeET2Tenpk5Mr1VL/
AgMBAAE=', 'rsa'));

What is Lucee 5.3 implementation details regarding RSA ciphers and key sizes?

Key size

• 512/1024/2048/4096 bit

Cipher

• RSA
  • RSA/ECB/PKCS1Padding
  • RSA/None/PKCS1Padding
  • RSA/NONE/OAEPWithSHA1AndMGF1Padding
  • RSA/ECB/OAEPWithSHA-1AndMGF1Padding
1 Like

If anyone is curious about the Lucee RSA encryption implementation under the hood.

Appears to be PKCS #8, and doesn’t look there is a way to override to change the cipher. Which would be a nice feature for interoperability with other systems/languages for example PKCS1 or OAEP.

Due to server to server interoperability requirements I was not able to rely on Lucee’s RSA encryption implementation (PKCS 8). Being able to specify the cipher for key generation and encrypt/decrypt is required. The system I was interacting was expecting the encrypted value to have used the PKCS #1 v1.5 cipher algorithm.

Here is how I implemented RSA encryption with Java instead.

private any function encryptCardNumber(required string cardNumber, required string publicKey) {
	var secureRandom = createObject("java", "java.security.SecureRandom").init();
	var cipher = createObject("java", "javax.crypto.Cipher").getInstance("RSA/ECB/PKCS1Padding", "SunJCE"); // This also is equivalent: getInstance("RSA/None/PKCS1Padding", "BC") for BouncyCastle (org.bouncycastle.jce.provider.BouncyCastleProvider)

// Convert public key from string to java Key object
	// First need to convert raw string to ByteArray
	var publicKeySpec = createObject('java', 'java.security.spec.X509EncodedKeySpec').init(toBinary(arguments.publicKey));
	var keyFactory = createObject('java', 'java.security.KeyFactory').getInstance('RSA');
	var key = keyFactory.generatePublic(publicKeySpec);
	cipher.init(createObject("java", "javax.crypto.Cipher").ENCRYPT_MODE, key, secureRandom);

return cipher.doFinal(toBinary(toBase64(arguments.cardNumber)));
}
1 Like

did you try the new GenerateRSAkeys() ?

@Zac_Spitzer

That works fine but I had no use for generating RSA keys. And I actually have zero idea of the language of the server API I was interacting with. All I knew was that I was provided with a public key and data was to be encrypted with RSA. And that’s where the mystery began and took some trial and error to solve. I needed finer details to figure out why I was encountering interoperability issues. The API server couldn’t decrypt the ciphertext properly.

I had some implementation examples using same API with JS (JSEncrpyt), PHP (openssl-public_encrypt & Crypt_RSA), and C# (RSA.Encrypt). I ended up digging through the implementations in those languages and they discovered they use commom cipher algorithm PKCS #1 v1.5 so its apples to apples.

With Lucee encryption doesn’t allow you to change the default cipher algorithm (PKCS #8) from what I could tell in the Lucee engine souce code.

Just wanted to share in case anyone ever encounters a similar issue. If the API server language was Lucee 5.3 then there would not be any issues (unless you were working in JS, C#, PHP)

But JS rsa implementations appear to be the commom denominator. Libraries supporting only PKCS #1 v1.5

The cipher should be a parameter in Lucee which exactly match the Java options for most flexibility.

1 Like

time to file a bug!

It probably falls more into feature request. Because it does function properly, just incomplete (limited) implementation in my opinion. And Lucee docs should at least mention the default cipher used (PKCS #8 I believe, I know for sure it isn’t RSA/ECB/PKCS1Padding).

And it looks different providers have different defaults to make it even more confusing.

Supposedly this is bad practice because of ambiguity.

the Lucee docs are user editable, there’s an icon next to each section, improvements are always welcome!

@Zac_Spitzer Great! I was not aware of that. Thanks for the tip!

you can fork the repo (https://github.com/lucee/lucee-docs), check out a local copy and then interactively run a local server using command box, which is a lot nicer than the per fragment approach via the direct links from the live docs.

once you have finished any edits, you can file a PR