Lucee won't start up - Can't reach Admin (Express version)

I’ve been reading these threads for sometime now and for whatever reason, this thread finally hooked me into trying CommandBox. Maybe it was Brad’s “broken record” comment, I don’t know but…

WOW was that easy to get going! I haven’t setup a mail server or DSNs yet but getting my "Hello World, today is <cfoutput>#now()#</cfoutput> took all of 2 minutes.

I have a Windows and a Mac so I read the install procedures for both OSes (three if you count the manual and the homebrew installation options), and also downloaded the single executable and the ones with JRE for both operating systems as well. Total time invested to get started: 15-20 minutes.

So glad Judy posted this question and that Brad chimed in.

It also may have been Brad’s willingness to connect with Judy directly that really pulled me into trying this product. You have to be really confident in your product to be willing to donate your time like that. Kudos, Brad.

Sincerely,
Daryl

4 Likes

I keep going on about this, commandbox is THE best thing to happen to CFML since Jeremy Allaire started noodling with some code with his brother.

Also, commandbox is IMHO the way forward in both development and live deployments. Hands down. Either by itself or with the addition of docker.

I am sure @Brad_Wood will let me know but all that is missing is a way to run it as service on windows and those users will be happy.

1 Like

So what exactly is docker and why is it a good addition to command box?

Here’s the screencast for starting CommandBox servers as Windows services :slight_smile:

I see Mark is replying right now, so I’ll skip the Docker intro and just leave this link:
https://ortussolutions.com/events/container-roadshow-2017

1 Like

Docker is a way to package ALL web application/services etc. It’s like a container. So admins don’t need to know what is inside it to run it.

It’s changing the way we do deployments in the industry now. So for example, in the past I would like to have another server or a cluster ? ok, pain in the rear to setup, now you just start up more instances or autoscale them. Servers are treated like cattle (we don’t care if they die or not) rather than pets.

From a dev point of view, for me it means I don’t have to learn how to install (for example) memcached, I can just run

> docker run memcached *

Also, I can run a whole environment. One of the projects I work on needs the developer to know that he is running in a round robin cluster with MySQL backend, a mail catcher (smtp), memcached as our shared session storage etc. all this can be done with one file called docker-compose.yml . Which will have information how they all interact, what ports they use, what ports they expose, what is the health url and environment variables etc etc.

This can be used for both my machine, the test environment or live.

Commandbox fits into that as we can now define the server settings with .cfconfig.json, dependencies with box.json and server configuration with server.json.

It’s so good I get exited talking about it… calm down Mark… calm down

*there is a bit more to this

2014??? That’s pretty old :smiley: