Lucee server error: "The resources may not be accessed if they are not currently started"

Lucee version 5.1.3.18
Ubuntu Linux 16.04.1

Hi, friends. This morning, when I tried to log in to my Lucee Server, I received a Lucee error page, with this message:

Lucee 5.1.3.18 Error (java.lang.IllegalStateException)
Message 	The resources may not be accessed if they are not currently started
Cause 	java.lang.IllegalStateException
Stacktrace 	The Error Occurred in
/admin/overview.cfm: line 169
called from /admin/web.cfm: line 399
called from /admin/server.cfm: line 2

I’ve been doing some research but I am unable to discover the cause of, or a solution for, this error.

Has anyone else run into this problem and found a solution? Thank you for any advice. I am stuck here.

Eric

Update: restarting the Lucee service resolved this problem. I will leave this here for future reference, in case it is useful to anyone. - EB

I am seeing this issue as well from time to time - found it also on the latest stable version too:

Lucee 5.2.4.37 Error (java.lang.IllegalStateException)
Message The resources may not be accessed if they are not currently started
Stacktrace The Error Occurred in
/admin/overview.cfm: line 170
called from /admin/overview.overview.cfm: line 1
called from /admin/web.cfm: line 392

Even though restarting Lucee corrects the issue it would be good to have a better fix for it.

I am also seeing same exact issue now in multiple Lucee versions so this should not be marked as “Solved” I am afraid. It seems to happen when Lucee is under load possibly? Currently using 5.2.4.37 but also happened with previous version. Other versions of the amdin can be accessed directly without issue, it just seems to be the overview page that has the issue.

Hi guys, is there a ticket for this? If not, can one of you please create one in JIRA?

https://luceeserver.atlassian.net

Was a Jira ticket created for this issue? Couldn’t find one and if not I will get one created.

Just going to give this another bump as we got the error again on one of our servers:

Lucee 5.2.9.31 Error (java.lang.IllegalStateException)
Message The resources may not be accessed if they are not currently started
Stacktrace The Error Occurred in
/admin/overview.cfm: line 171
called from /admin/web.cfm: line 433

We are seeing the exact same error, however it is happening randomly on 1 IIS site (we have multiple). When it happens, it also happens on all tags in our code, creating quite a lot of errors.
restarting Lucee solves this but we can’t always do this since it is a production system.

It’s just this simple tag:

<cflog file="processOrderWatcher" text="some (can be long) text">

I have checked if any of the log files were opened in notepad or something but that wasn’t the case.

We have spotted this issue again today on version 5.3.4.77. It is only on the overview page of the server admin screen. All other screens work fine, I wonder if it is something like the code behind the server graphs or a remote call to another service.

I have opened a Jira bug ticket myself here: [LDEV-2742] - Lucee

Hopefully, we can get a fix for this as restarting is not a fix and not great for production servers.

If anyone else has information please can you add a comment onto my ticket :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Is there a fix for this? Having the same issue in version 5.3.7.48.