Lucee not using apache2 webserver

I just set up a new installation of lucee 5.2.6 on a ubuntu 16.04 server. I got everything working and could execute .cfm files.
I have installed and configured mod_cfml and apache2 by following the documentation on de lucee and mod_cfml websites, restarted both the apache2 and lucee_ctl services along the way, but i noticed that lucee (or tomcat) is completely bypassing my apache webserver. Apache virtual hosts are not picked up and i can even stop the apache2 service and still visit the coldfusion site.

In the setup i excplicitly told lucee to use apache webserver with modcfml. Why is it completely ignoring the apache webserver, and what webserver is it using instead?

which webserver does the host headers say is responding (i.e. check the network panel in your browser’s dev tools)?

1 Like

Not many headers on the cfm response. Only got set-cookie, content-type, content-length and date.
A deliberate 404 looks like a default 404 page with footer “Apache Tomcat/8.5.28”

so you’re accessing port 8888? apache by default listens to port 80?

i’m accessing the cfm page on port 80 right now. I have apache2 (currently stopped) listening on port 80 and the tomcat port configs are default:

tomcat web server port: 8888
tomcat shutdown port: 8005
tomcat ajp port: 8009

This is my netstat -ltpn output:
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1355/sshd
tcp6 0 0 :::22 :::* LISTEN 1355/sshd
tcp6 0 0 :::8888 :::* LISTEN 19064/java
tcp6 0 0 127.0.0.1:8005 :::* LISTEN 19064/java
tcp6 0 0 :::8009 :::* LISTEN 19064/java

very odd, and if you stop tomcat too?

With lucee_ctl sopped as well, i got an expected err_connection_refused. Since nothing in the system could tell me what was using port 80, i decided to reboot the server.
After the reboot, both apache2 and lucee_ctl started at boot and now apache2 is running on port 80 as expected :slight_smile:

Still haven’t got a clue, but the reboot did the trick. Restarting services and rebooting the entire system seems to be a huge difference.

Anyway, thanks for your quick help Zac

1 Like

You may still want to keep an eye on the port though. I’ve seen cases were Apache was able to grab port 80 first but on subsequent reboots, another app grabbed it first and Apache failed to start. Once you’ve identified the other app(s), you can disable/reconfigure those services so they don’t interfere again.