Lucee Install Newbie Question

Hi Guys,

Can anybody advise if Lucee’s Windows installer for IIS needs to “call home” in a YUM fashion to get installation completed or can it install behind a firewall without open internet access.

TIA !

The full windows installer does not need internet access to complete installation.

Thanks Terry!

When I install with the Windows Installer (lucee-5.2.9.031-pl0-windows-installer) behind a Firewall with no Internet access I get this error:

When I open the Firewall (to allow outbound internet) and run a re-install it works…it appears to need to have Internet access to install.

Any pointers since all the Lucee Windows installer links are broken @ Installing Lucee :: Lucee Documentation?

.NET Extensible needs to be enabled.

Would help to know exactly what system this is being installed on, version number, with or without gui, and any other details would be helpful.

This installation was on a new Azure VM Windows2012 R2 with IIS installed and running and FW set to deny all outgoing to internet

Azure Windows Images are hardened by default. You may need to create a firewall entry to allow access to and from localhost so the application proxy interface can properly stream from localhost port to localhost port.

As for IIS.
in the command line you need .net Extensibility installed.

Make sure the application pool associated with the website operates in “Integrated” Managed Pipeline Mode.

Make sure .Net Extensibilty is enabled

start /w pkgmgr /iu:IIS-NetFxExtensibility

Add managed handler mapping(s). You can do so using the IIS manager UI or you can run this appcmd command (it adds a handler for jsp pages). You can add as many handlers as you need, simply change the name attribute as needed.
appcmd.exe is located here: %windir%\system32\inetsrv
Paste the next lines as one line into the command:
%windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd set config /section:handlers /+[name=‘BonCode-Tomcat-JSP-Handler’,path=‘.jsp’,verb='’,type=‘BonCodeIIS.BonCodeCallHandler’,preCondition=‘integratedMode’]

Lastly, you should strongly consider running it on Linux. Average 28 percent performance gain on Centos vs Windows

Hi Terry , thanks for the update, that explained why the internet access was required for the Lucee full windows installer

28% is a pretty big gain. I’m working with a startup and are currently developing under a Windows development environment for ease. Moving to a Linux environment isn’t out of the question since we are not live yet but if this 28% is true (if if 15-20%), it would definitely help tilt the scale towards that direction. I’ve never admin’d a Linux box so the learning curve is a concern. Any tips or advice here? Perhaps another thread so that I don’t hijack this one? :smiley:

If you go the Linux route, for production I suggest CentOS or RHEL. Both are nearly identical, enterprise ready stable versions of Linux. RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) is a paid, supported version of Linux, where CentOS is the completely free version without support.

Install of Lucee is very straight forward on CentOS or Rhel.

If you get stuck, let me know.

1 Like

We are several months away from launching the beta so if you don’t hear from me immediately, that is why :wink:

But seriously, thank you for the offer. I’m sure I’ll be in touch. I’ve been using Microsoft products for as long as I can remember and switching to a new OS now seems daunting so it truly helps knowing there is some help available.