Lucee 6 - Query of Queries Loses Order From Source Query

When using query of queries, the order from the first query is “lost” and we are having to add another ORDER BY to the query of the query. Is this a bug or a feature?

Java Version : 1.8.0_181 (Oracle Corporation) 64bit
Tomcat Version : Tomcat/8.5.33
Lucee Version : Lucee 6.0.0.585

I wouldn’t have initially thought that it would “just” maintain the order.
For as long as I can remember I have always “assumed” no order.

And I think of a query of queries as being a whole “new” query.

The fact that inner query was ordered, (or was even a query) I deliberately ignore for the outer query and go back to; “Always assume, no order” - unless you explicitly force one into play via the use of ORDER BY.

However;
If Lucee previously behaved differently for you, I would log a bug as a regression.
Or if Adobe behaves differently (the way you’re expecting Lucee to) - you could log a “compatability” bug.

Otherwise - I wouldn’t think there was an actual issue to address here.

Thank you. Logged but I didn’t see a way to mark it as a regression. Lucee preserved the order of the original query in the past.

Sorry I didn’t see this thread sooner. Here’s the same comment I left in JIRA.

This is not a bug nor a regression, it is working as designed. It was incorrect for your previous code to assume the order would be retained when not using an ORDER BY statement. Even traditional RDBMs don’t offer this guarantee. The reason this changed is because in Lucee 6, parallel streams are used to increase the performance of QoQ operations by processing each row in multiple threads at a time. This means the original order will not necessarily be preserved unless you use an ORDER BY, which is the correct way to ensure the order. This “worked” on older versions of Lucee as a “happy accident”.

Improving Lucee’s QoQ Support Again- now 200% faster

1 Like

Okay. Thanks for the reply!

1 Like