[Lucee 4.5] Anyone with advice on setting up Tomcat/Boncode(IIS) for high traffic?

We are attempting to handle a large influx of users ( perhaps around 10k in a short period of time ) on Lucee 4.5 running on Windows Server 2012. The server has four cores and a good bit of memory ( > 16 GB ) but it just doesn’t seem like our application can handle more than around 1k without the mean response time going up close to 50s. If I try 3k the response time goes higher and quite a few requests timeout after 90s. It might be the application just will not handle that many concurrent users, but I’d like to ensure my Tomcat/Boncode settings are reasonably sound. Here is the Boncode entry:

<Settings>
  <Port>8009</Port>
  <Server>localhost</Server>   
  <MaxConnections>1000</MaxConnections>
  <LogLevel>0</LogLevel>
  <LogDir>c:\temp</LogDir>
  <FlushThreshold>0</FlushThreshold>
  <EnableRemoteAdmin>False</EnableRemoteAdmin>
</Settings>

and server.xml

<Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443"
	URIEncoding="UTF-8"
	maxThreads="1000"
	maxConnections="1000"
	connectionTimeout="60000"
	keepAliveTimeout="-1"
	acceptorThreadCount="2"
	enableLookups="false"
	acceptCount="100"
/>

Any tips/suggestions would be wonderful. I’ve been trying to get this tuned for a couple of weeks, but I’m not sure what else to check. Thanks!

Hi,

you mentioned that your server has 16 gigs of memory.

Did you also allocate all/most of that to the java vm?

Also you might want to take a look at fusionreactor, it helped us a great deal with performance issues in the past.

Currently Tomcat has been allocated 6 GB, of which it uses < 2 GB. The real issue seems to be high CPU use by Tomcat. My guess is that the application just isn’t up to handling this many people, but it does seem strange that even just 500 users causes CPU to spike to ~ 95%. I did install FusionReactor yesterday, but although it does have a lot of great metrics I’m not sure how to use it to diagnose the bottleneck.

Hm sorry i do not know the application that you’re referring to. Do you think the high cpu usage could come from constant Garbage-Collecting? Other than that i don’t know what to tell you.