Is there a way to see what requests are running?

Sorry if there’s an obvious answer to this that I’ve missed - I’ve looked and cannot find one.

How can I see which page requests are running at any particular time in Lucee? What I’d ideally like to know is the URL and how long it’s been running. We use Apache and / Tomcat.

You can see long running threads via my performance analyser plugin / extension

Not quite what you’re asking for, but you can see via the stack traces which code is running

Thanks Zac. I’ve had a play around with your plugin on a dev machine and it looks very useful. I think I can take inspiration from the code of “threads” tab to get the information I need.

1 Like

FusionReactor. A license costs less than you’ll likely spend building something and it has all the data you could even want or need.

If you just want it for local dev, you can get the developer license which is very cheap.

Peter, let me add that in digging into things by “thread”, you’ll run into the same issue you would find if you looked to traditional Java monitoring tools. They too are often thread-based, and not readily tied to cfml requests (or jsp or servlets requests in traditional Java servlet/jsp apps).

Instead, I think many would agree that the best tool for seeing what requests are running–whether on lucee or ACF, and whether cfml or Java apps–is FusionReactor, fusion-reactor.com. No, it’s not free, but it is great for this need and so many more.

For instance, it also tracks WHY a request may be slow, such as what jdbc calls are made in a request, as well as cfhttp or httpclient calls made from the request, and more. It can also let you stack trace a running request to see what it’s doing at a point in time, down to the line of cfml code. And the Ultimate (or Developer) edition also profiles slow requests, and lots more.

I’ve done many videos on it that you can find on YouTube, as has the company themselves, and Brad and others here have written or presented on it. It’s just a great tool. There are yet other APMs, of course. I just feel that FR fits better (and adds more) for cfml app monitoring and tuning than about any other tool.

Note that there is both a 14day free trial as well as a low-cost developer edition ($99/yr) that’s about 1/5th the base Standard edition ($39/month).

1 Like

Doh! If it’s not obvious, I was writing my last comment (with a bit more context) as Brad was submitting his his. Should have thought to check before hitting submit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Zac and Charlie for the extra information.

I have no problem with paying for FusionReactor, but when I last tried it (probably at least 5 years ago) it had a terrible impact on performance so I didn’t continue with it. Maybe it has moved on since then and I should take another look.

(I suspect you meant Brad and me, as we’re who mentioned FR.) But to your last point, that’s so disappointing to hear. I’ve used FR for over 15 years and can say with 100% confidence that not only has FR rarely caused any impact, but if it ever did, it was unexpected and if reported to the FR folks they had it fixed, usually within a day.

So really, no, no one should EVER fear that FR will have a production impact. It absolutely should not. And report it if it ever does.

Yes - I did mean Brad. Sorry! I’ll give FR another go.

I’ll second that. I’ve used FR for about the same amount of time and under some very heavy performance testing. FR has a very low footprint and I’d be curious to know just exactly what overhead you saw. My experience has not been the same. Their support is also very responsive if you have any issues again.