Is lucee version logged anywhere?

Trying to narrow down what might be causing assorted problems over the last few months and I’ve been searching through the logs in c:\lucee\tomcat\logs and {appdir}\WEB-INF\lucee\logs

Thing is, I know that lucee has been upgraded at some point but don’t know exactly when. I’d like to be able to separate log entries by lucee version. But I can’t find e.g. “5.3.6.61” or “5.3.7.47” in any log file.

Is there a place where lucee logs its version at startup? Or maybe it logs the update process when run from from server admin page?

Thanks!

Java Version: OpenJDK 11.0.3
Tomcat Version: 9.0.19
Lucee Version: 5.3.6.x - 5.3.7.x

Deploy.log, may depend on the log level

"INFO","main","02/13/2021","13:27:25","Update-Engine","Installing Lucee [5.3.8.144-SNAPSHOT] (previous version was [5.3.8.143-SNAPSHOT] )"

Hm. Looks like my deploy.log level is set at INFO, but all it has is a few NullPointerException errors from mid 2019.

This server’s initial installed version was 5.3.1.102 , and now its running 5.3.7.47…pretty sure it’s had at least one other update in between

I’m looking in c:\lucee\tomcat\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\lucee\logs\deploy.log
…that’s the right one for admin console, right?

My own app has a deploy.log under its WEB-INF directory, but its empty…

nah, you want the server context one c:\lucee\tomcat\lucee-server\context\logs

It’s good to update your loader in c:\lucee\lib\ to a more recent loader as 5.3.1 was a while ago https://cdn.lucee.org/lucee-5.3.7.47.jar (that’s the lucee.jar from the download.lucee.org page)

And, FYI, If we updated to the latest version ex: 5.3.8.145-SNAPSHOT and after if you want to go with any lowest lucee version as manual means, jar file under lucee/lib will not help for this. Because the latest version’s 5.3.8.145-snapshot.ico file still exists under the lucee\tomcat\lucee-server\patches.
We couldn’t see, any changes in our lucee version.
So, we’ve to check those as follows.

• Need to check lucee\tomcat\lucee-server\patches - which version of .ico files we had.
  • If we have the latest version and also want to move lowest, just delete that latest .ico file and have to restart the lucee.

If we do it ( downgrade from latest ) through lucee - server admin means, no need to check as I said above. Because it’ll be automatically deleted.

1 Like

OK, thanks! I was wondering how to use the jar files.
What exactly does a new “loader” do for me? Assuming the old one could actually load the new version of lucee…I’m confused as to the difference between running 5.3.4.47 under a 5.3.1.102 loader vs the new one.

Also, I’m still confused about the “server context” vs (I assume) “web context”?
I know there are the 2 sections under the admin console, and up to now, I have always done my setting customization in the Server admin section because I have no idea how or when to use the Web section.

It seems that the options are, for the most part, identical. My guess would be that the Server settings are global for the Lucee instance and the Web settings could be customized for different application contexts running on the same server?

I’m confused, though, about how to actually edit web context settings for a particular cf website. For example, on my Windows Server 2019 sandbox, I can look at the Server Overview page and I see 2 web contexts with different roots:

• root: C:\lucee\tomcat\webapps\ROOT\
    config: C:\lucee\tomcat\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\lucee\lucee-web.xml.cfm
    (default lucee webapp…I assumed this the lucee admin interface?)
  • root: C:\web\public\
    config: C:\web\public\WEB-INF\lucee\lucee-web.xml.cfm
    (this is our site)

Also, I see the Server config file is: C:\lucee\tomcat\lucee-server\context\lucee-server.xml

So this looks good…we should be able to bundle our web config along with our code and not have to customize Lucee server settings on each new installation. But if I switch to the Web tab at the top of the page, I see that it is using the web root and config file under C:\lucee\tomcat\webapps\ROOT\

How do I edit web context settings for my own site?

OMG, I just realized I could click on the URL in the Web Context list in the Server overview to open the admin console for that web context. I always thought it was just a link to the site (the text content of the link is different from the actual href)

…durr.

1 Like

…although, I am getting a null pointer exception dump any time I select the Settings>Performance/Caching page under my application’s web context.

Hm. After clicking on “Reset to Server Administrator Setting” on one of the other pages, the Performance/Caching page now works.

Haaa! Maybe it’s just another easter egg created by the Lucee Core Dev Team?! :smiley:

I had a similar surprise recently after trying to help out a mate to import the new Let’sEncrypts ROOT CA certificates into his java trust store with the Java keytool (he doesn’t have Lucee). The java tool needs lots of arguements. Then, when I was on the turn to import the same certs to my machine, I remembered that there is a tool for that in the Lucee admin: you just add a domainname that has all the new Letsencrypt cert chains installed, click install and DONE (it felt to be as long as 10milliseconds)! Then I checked out that admin code on github and from now on I’m doing similar imports on the fly with a very simple cfadmin tag. DAMN! THAT FELT GOOD!!!

You don’t need the cfadmin tag. You can just use this

sslCertificateInstall( 'www.google.com' )
1 Like

Yeah, I saw that later too when I’ve tried to find the docs to show it to my buddy. On cfdocs.org it shows its a purely Lucee function. Felt so awesome!

1 Like