Internal NTP address

Hello all,

I am asking on behalf of a colleague:

The Lucee web server references a pool of global NTP time servers, thus the IP address returned will change over time depending on the time server accessed from the pool of servers.

Can you confirm if a hardcoded internal IP address can be used in place of the pool.ntp.org address found in the XML configuration file noted below, and whether server restart will be sufficient to activate the new internal IP we specify.

This is regarding the NTP pool reference in file C:\lucee\lib\lucee-server\context\lucee-server.xml:

Yes, you can change it to the IP address of an internal NTP server if you would like. Either directly in the XML or in the server admin (/lucee/admin/server.cfm?action=server.regional). I’m not 100% sure you need to restart Lucee tbh. When changing it from the admin it doesn’t seem you do, but I’m not clear what is done behind the scenes in the admin that wouldn’t be done if you just changed it in the XML file itself. If you change the XML file itself, I’d say probably yes you should restart for good measure (or restart if the time doesn’t change as expected).

HTH

– Denny

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response! We’ll look into this option.