Installation of 5.3.7.047 - java.lang.NullPointerException

I’m currently having problems installing the latest 5.37.047 version on a Windows2016 Server. This is the situation:

Running the installer package
lucee-5.3.6.061-pl0-windows-installer.exe
is working fine. Lucee comes up and I can access the Lucee admin.

Now deinstallating everything and running the
lucee-5.3.7.047-pl0-windows-installer.exe
the Lucee service is started but when I try to open the Lucee admin I get a
HTTP Status 500 – Internal Server Error
Type Exception Report
Message java.lang.NullPointerException
error. (See full stack below)

Deinstalling and cleanup again and running again the 5.3.6.061 working fine again.
Looks like there is something changed in 5.3.7.047 ? Did someone see this before? I did several updates to 5.3.7.047 and have never had this problem before.

HTTP Status 500 – Internal Server Error
Type Exception Report

Message java.lang.NullPointerException

Description The server encountered an unexpected condition that prevented it from fulfilling the request.

Exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.NullPointerException
lucee.loader.engine.CFMLEngineFactory.initEngine(CFMLEngineFactory.java:384)
lucee.loader.engine.CFMLEngineFactory.initEngineIfNecessary(CFMLEngineFactory.java:267)
lucee.loader.engine.CFMLEngineFactory.getInstance(CFMLEngineFactory.java:169)
lucee.loader.engine.CFMLEngineFactory.getInstance(CFMLEngineFactory.java:207)
lucee.loader.servlet.CFMLServlet.init(CFMLServlet.java:42)
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:541)
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:92)
mod_cfml.core.invoke(core.java:180)
org.apache.catalina.valves.AbstractAccessLogValve.invoke(AbstractAccessLogValve.java:690)
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:343)
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:373)
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:65)
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:868)
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1590)
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49)
java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
Root Cause

java.lang.NullPointerException
lucee.loader.osgi.BundleUtil.installBundle(BundleUtil.java:76)
lucee.loader.osgi.BundleUtil.addBundle(BundleUtil.java:68)
lucee.loader.osgi.BundleUtil.addBundle(BundleUtil.java:47)
lucee.loader.osgi.BundleLoader.loadBundles(BundleLoader.java:142)
lucee.loader.engine.CFMLEngineFactory.initEngine(CFMLEngineFactory.java:368)
lucee.loader.engine.CFMLEngineFactory.initEngineIfNecessary(CFMLEngineFactory.java:267)
lucee.loader.engine.CFMLEngineFactory.getInstance(CFMLEngineFactory.java:169)
lucee.loader.engine.CFMLEngineFactory.getInstance(CFMLEngineFactory.java:207)
lucee.loader.servlet.CFMLServlet.init(CFMLServlet.java:42)
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:541)
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:92)
mod_cfml.core.invoke(core.java:180)
org.apache.catalina.valves.AbstractAccessLogValve.invoke(AbstractAccessLogValve.java:690)
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:343)
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:373)
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:65)
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:868)
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1590)
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49)
java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
Note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the server logs.

Apache Tomcat/9.0.35

Additional info:
I also tried to upgrade using the lucee-5.3.7.47.jar file so that the tomcat and java version stays the same.
Before version 5.3.6.061 is running fine. After deploying the new lucee jar file the
HTTP Status 500 – Internal Server Error Type Exception Report Message java.lang.NullPointerException
comes up.

This is just a guess… something I’d do in that situation. Don’t know if you already tried that, just posting it to be sure: Re-download the lucee.jar from the download page and try installing that fresh lucee.jar: Then before starting Lucee delete the lucee-server directory and the web-inf folders as well (after backuping them up). Doing this you’ll get a fresh redeployed lucee-server and web-inf contexts. NOTE: Please be aware that this will delete your Lucee server and Lucee configuration settings (thus the backup before deleting).

Did you ever resolve this issue?

I am running into the same problem.

@strubenstein, Already we’ve a ticket for this issue. Did you check as Andreas said?
And, one important thing, check and backup it before deleting. LDEV-3236

1 Like

I was hesitant to try this given the lack of a follow-up response saying it worked. Plus I had installed Lucee via “Run as Administrator” so I figured it had the necessary file permissions. But it turns out this worked – the directories just needed write permission.

Thanks for telling me to just follow the instructions! :slight_smile: I sincerely appreciate it.

1 Like

Hi Sven,
I couldn’t get it to work yet. Additional I have the same problem on a second server from a different customer. In which folder did you change the permission? c:\lucee , the web-inf, the webroot or other dir? Did you also delete the web-inf and lucee-server directory as andreas was mentioning?