Help wanted, Lucee MacOS Installer

Anyone keen to jump in and help get the MacOS installer up and running?

The installer uses Install Builder, we just need some help from someone more familiar with MacOS to add some more config

I’ve started working on making the JRE install option for 5.3.9

https://luceeserver.atlassian.net/browse/LDEV-3832

When it comes to Macs, Ill bite.

I have a mac, do I just go to that link to download the .dmg file? Or is that the part that needs work?

Sorry, normally a windows/NIX guy. The mac normally just sits for testing compatibility issues.

2 Likes

You need to install (sic) Install Builder for MacOS

then add steps to support MacOS to the above linked lucee.xml for osx

The readme here explains everything else GitHub - lucee/lucee-installer: Source files for the Lucee installer

@Zackster
I worked with Jordan on the first versions of Mac installer.
I remember doing all the Mac install stuff for railo and building the install scripts.
However, since then, I have moved on to Windows.
Let me see whether I can find the old scripts for InstallBuilder that we used for Mac. I need to go to the addict and see whether I can find the old laptop. That would at least jump start someone if I can find them.

1 Like

I started on this, grabbed the XML file from GIT. Installed the “installbuilder” application.

Then the mac I have started doing an update.

So any pointers @Bilal would be appreciated, as I am doing this in between my normal duties and I would love to kick out a config file for @Zackster to try in the next week.

there’s also the use system jre option for the linux installer which may need some love too, I’ve just tried it out on windows [LDEV-3832] - Lucee

there’s a heap of shell scripts which does the unix config, i haven’t confirmed that’s working

Let me muck around with OSX then I will play with NIX.

@Terry_Whitney did you get a chance to look into this?

as we are in the 5.3.9 RC phase, I’d love to have a mac installer in time for the release

Let me see where this is at.

I installed OsX latest version,
installed the installer app
installed the XML file used for lucee
installed java
then got stuck on aother project.
as I cant build with the installer evaul, I can give you what I have or if you give me a few days Ill kick out what I have. I almost feel like just doing what I do for my own freeBSD install of lucee would work.

1 Like

just sent you the Lucee enterprise license key via PM :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am also unable to install Lucee MacOS Installer I have tried installing it in different browsers and on different computers, but nothing seems to work. I think the problem is that you need to be running an account with administrative privileges in order to install the software, but I don’t know what else to do at this point.

there isn’t yet an Lucee MacOS installer… this thread is about getting one up and running

only option currently is command box, or a manual install

Isn’t the Lucee express version suitable for you? I don’t have MacOS, but yesterday I’ve assisted remotely a dev mate from the cfml brazil group and we managed to installed express for development on his mac. The only issue we had were permissions issues and a missing log directory (maybe also because of missing priviliges). Is there a specific reason you need the installer on MacOS?

2 Likes

The express version does install without issue provided you are or have access to the administrator account on the device.

The current issue with MacOS is building off BigSur… It doesnt like running scripts outside the confines of the install user.

The easiest method IMHO is to just build the Mac OSX installer as a desperate file, that hard codes the Lucee Ports, and optionally installs Java as well as Apache HTTPD.

sure, I’m waiting on your pull request with your changes to support doing that!

1 Like

It will happen, it just cant happen before Monday.
:slight_smile:

I had the same problem, then I got help from a friend in Germany.
Go to https://download.lucee.org/
Click on Express, it will download a zip file.
Unzip the file to your development folder.
I renamed mine _lucee so it stays on top of the folder.
You have to make the bin folder executable: chmod 755 bin/*
Then you should configure the file server.xml in conf folder. I added the following:

<Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
            unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">

<Context path="" docBase="/Users/myUserName/myDevelopmentFolder/myWebsiteFolder" />
        <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve" directory="logs"
               prefix="localhost_access_log" suffix=".txt"
               pattern="%h %l %u %t &quot;%r&quot; %s %b" />
      </Host>

Then just go to browse and type http://localhost:8888

I hope that helps you.

3 Likes

Thanks @rparente That’s what I was talking about.