Guidance required: replacing CF10 Solr Collections

I am migrating from CF10 to Lucee.

The app uses the cfcollection / index / search a lot.

The Lucee docs say:

1. Lucee uses Lucene. I know Solr was built on top of Lucene so are the ACF CFCollection, CFIndex, CFSearch tags compatible with Lucee’s?
  2. The Lucee docs say there are cfscript equivalents but where are they?
var collections = new cfcollection()
and
var collections = new collection()

both throw invalid component definition, can't find component
Do I need to enable it? or?

1. Is there some sample code for collections somewhere?

2. More generally, is there a docs page listing all the cfscript equivalents?

Thanks,
Murray

PS: I am also thinking about abstracting the whole “collections” thing to a separate Solr container so I can reuse it in non-Lucee places of future development (eg a RabbitMQ producer / consumer, for example)

Anyone had any experience using Solr in a container and connecting it to Lucee via docker-compose?

Thanks,
Murray

Hi Murray,
Have you ever solved your problem? I am facing the same. I want to use an external solr server as in CF.

Best
Thomas

Hi Thomas. Yes, but not via Lucee. I have shifted away from Lucee as my server to using Quarkus with a Redis Stack JSON/Search container as my main database which offers Full Text searching, word stemming, etc, directly on the records in my db.

You could run a similar Redis Stack container and (say) a Jedis client from Lucee that could possibly replace the need for Solr, depending on your use-case. Or, you could look at updating one of the older CFSolr type CFCs.

Sorry I don’t have better news for you.
Cheers,
Murray

Hi Murray, Thank you very much for the answer. However, the way seems very complex to me.
I now have the idea to simply use the extra Solr as a web service via cfhttp. That should be easy as well. The catch is that cfindex and cfsearch can’t be used, of course. Otherwise it should work as well.
Best
Thomas

No worries, best wishes.
Murray