Datasource creation says: CLIENT_PLUGIN_AUTH is required

Dear Team, we’re in the process of adding Lucee to one of our environments. The installs on this Apache instance are…

Lucee 5.3.2.77
MySQLVer 8.42 Distrib 5.1.73

When wse use Lucee to create a Datasource, we get this red flag warning/fail message = CLIENT_PLUGIN_AUTH is required, and the details are listed below.

Any ideas??

Hope you can assist. Thanks so much :slight_smile:

Dutch

lucee.runtime.exp.NativeException: CLIENT_PLUGIN_AUTH is required at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:110) at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:97) at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:89) at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:63) at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:73) at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.SQLExceptionsMapping.translateException(SQLExceptionsMapping.java:79) at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.createNewIO(ConnectionImpl.java:835) at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.(ConnectionImpl.java:455) at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.getInstance(ConnectionImpl.java:240) at com.mysql.cj.jdbc.NonRegisteringDriver.connect(NonRegisteringDriver.java:199) at lucee.runtime.db.DataSourceSupport._getConnection(DataSourceSupport.java:110) at lucee.runtime.db.DataSourceSupport.getConnection(DataSourceSupport.java:91) at lucee.runtime.tag.Admin._doVerifyDatasource(Admin.java:2866) at lucee.runtime.tag.Admin.doUpdateDatasource(Admin.java:2642) at lucee.runtime.tag.Admin._doStartTag(Admin.java:703) at lucee.runtime.tag.Admin.doStartTag(Admin.java:336) at services_datasource_create_cfm1334$cf.call(/admin/services.datasource.create.cfm:79) at etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Hi,

For MySQL 5.1.73, Couldn’t able to create the data source with the latest MySQL connector(Extension) 8.0.14. You’ve to downgrade the MySQL extension into 5.1.20, then only you can create the data source.

1 Like

it seems there is no solution ?
its now nearly a year
and i wonder if no one ever tryed to connect do a mysql database ?
or did i miss something ?

Hi Phunny, looks like this isn’t a Lucee problem. It has to do with a change made by oracle in the way mysql connects remotely. Please search the internet for CLIENT_PLUGIN_AUTH and you’ll see that many frameworks have this problem. You’ll mostly find solutions like posted by @cfmitrah.

ahh well, i running in circles since days, same server version same client lib … newer lucee version as an allready since long time running server
and is complaing about a lot of jar files are missing, so i dont think really it depends to database version which is running since years, aniway i will take more time, if not i need consider another way.
but thanks for your answer

I didn’t look deeper into this, but which mysql server version and driver are you using that is causing this issue? I’m no expert at all, just an usual cfml developer. Maybe somebody else have more information about this.

@Phunny, Can you share which version you’ve used? Then only, we can able to find.
And did you try with the latest version of the extension?

I was having the same issue. MySQL version 5.1.73.

I tried the following connector versions, but they all gave the error:

It wasn’t until I chose 5.1.40 and then restarted Lucee that it finally worked. Restarting Lucee was the key, for some reason.

didn’t do any tests, but searched a little around. Seems that certain MySQL DBMS versions are not compatible with certain connectors. There has been some connecting security enhancements in MySQL and newer connectors might not be able to get along with the MySQL dbms you are running. Don’t know if you’ve seen it already. Please excuse if so. Find the post bellow :
New MySQL driver causes java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: CLIENT_PLUGIN_AUTH is required - Stack Overflow