Client Variables Database - Millions of Entries!

Gotcha! Thanks! What should I be looking for then in this case?

Settings → Scope - > Client timeout

please test with 5.3.8.191, there was a regression which has been fixed since 5.3.8.189 which could affect this

Sadly, I can’t test that for you. We can’t push 5.3.8.191 (even into Dev) until it is Production Ready.

Any idea when we might see that release?

well, that’s a catch-22, while there is a potential open regression like this, we won’t make a release

I can’t test that either at the moment. I might be able to in a few weeks.
At least the problem is being looked at and that’s something! Thank you!

Okay - I think we can make a special snapshot and give this a go… It’s a fairly big issue for us.

We’ve only ever done full releases - which are on the home page of Lucee Admin.

How do we do an upgrade like this?

just drop https://cdn.lucee.org/5.3.8.193-SNAPSHOT.lco into the lucee-server/deploy folder and wait up to 60s

1 Like

Thanks. We have a brochure site (with no SLA) that we can use to test this.

Dropped it in - Now showing: Lucee 5.3.8.193-SNAPSHOT

Regression Test for Deleting records (baseline numbers - I will check back in a few hours):

SELECT Count(*) FROM cf_session.cf_client_data;

SELECT Count(*) FROM cf_session.cf_session_data;

1 Like

Something is already different:

SELECT Count(*) FROM cf_session.cf_client_data;

SELECT Count(*) FROM cf_session.cf_session_data;

We will monitor for 24 hours.

1 Like

Thanks for testing, much appreciated

No problem. This regression test is PASS. Here is the data I filed into the bug:

BASELINE:
SELECT Count() FROM cf_session.cf_client_data; 7959
SELECT Count(
) FROM cf_session.cf_session_data; 524

After a few hours:
SELECT Count() FROM cf_session.cf_client_data: 1837
SELECT Count(
) FROM cf_session.cf_session_data: 85

Also - I just watched a few records disappear appropriately based on their “expires” value of 1626203693169

The regression test for deleting old CF_CLIENT_DATA is PASS.

Data is now deleting from the cf_client_data with Lucee 5.3.8.193-SNAPSHOT ( whereas it was not with 5.3.8.189 )

1 Like

Hey all!

I managed to get it set up on a test server and I can also confirm it’s working and deleting old CF_CLIENT_DATA under Lucee 5.3.8.193-SNAPSHOT!

Thanks!!!

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks!

Hey guys - If I update to 5.3.8.201, is this fix included?

yes

1 Like

Hey guys - Revisiting this issue after a while.

Good news: The “purge” function seems to be running well. We no longer have to manually purge the CF Client Vars table. So that is definitely fixed.

The other issue I reported a while ago seems to still be happening. I am seeing extra entries with Application Name = Null. While not a huge issue - it is causing extra load for this database server.

Why is this happening?

Somewhere in your code you have not set application name.

In your application.cfc or cfm you should have a tag

<cfapplication  
 name = "my application name"
1 Like

Thank you for the response. We have, exhaustively, searched for any such issue. We can’t find one.

The Application Name is declared only once, and it is appropriate. Thus, we see if in the cf_client_data table… Where are the Application Name = Null entries coming from?

Install a browser agent string manipulator on your browser
Give your browser the special string “LUCEE_DEBUG” or something else that just sticks out.
Optionally clip or trim your application.log file
hit your webpage normally
search for your string “Lucee_DEBUG”
Methodically go through every call, include, template and component, custom cfc and anything else needed create that page.
Repeat this process as needed for every front end page you have until you get a “Match”

If I think about it all, and what @Terry_Whitney already said, I come to this possiblity and conclusion:

• @Terry said, you might have an application without an application name in a Application.cfc/.cfm set
  • but you checked everything without finding an Application cfc/.cfm with a missing application name.

That tells me that something may be creating those entries without having any Application.cfc/.cfm. So, I’ would guess that your Lucee Server Adminstrator (global) is set to use client cookies as a default.

Is that the case?