Cfschedule crashing in 5.3.8.189

Hi all. I’m getting the error below on one of 7 Lucee web servers we have in production. I’m quite certain it is tied to my poor understanding of contexts. The server is working great. Very stable. Just can’t get to the scheduler…

Any thoughts on where to start? I can see that my context has an English URL associated with it – which is not how the other boxes are – usually it is a non-routable IP address for the local box (behind our load balancers)… How is this set? Can I change this somewhere in a config file?

Lucee 5.3.8.189
CentOS Linux 8.4.2105 / Linux (4.18.0-305.7.1.el8_4.x86_64) 64bit
Java 11.0.7 (AdoptOpenJDK) 64bit

Lucee 5.3.8.189 Error (java.lang.NullPointerException)
Message	java.lang.NullPointerException
Stacktrace	The Error Occurred in
/admin/services.schedule.list.cfm: line 145
called from /admin/services.schedule.cfm: line 76
called from /admin/web.cfm: line 492
Java Stacktrace	lucee.runtime.exp.NativeException: java.lang.NullPointerException
  at lucee.runtime.tag.Schedule.doList(Schedule.java:515)
  at lucee.runtime.tag.Schedule.doStartTag(Schedule.java:430)
  at services_schedule_list_cfm1242$cf.call(/admin/services.schedule.list.cfm:145)
  at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl._doInclude(PageContextImpl.java:1031)
  at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl._doInclude(PageContextImpl.java:923)
  at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl.doInclude(PageContextImpl.java:904)
  at services_schedule_cfm414$cf.call(/admin/services.schedule.cfm:76)
  at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl.doInclude(PageContextImpl.java:904)
  at web_cfm$cf.call(/admin/web.cfm:492)
  at lucee.runtime.listener.ModernAppListener._onRequest(ModernAppListener.java:217)
  at lucee.runtime.listener.MixedAppListener.onRequest(MixedAppListener.java:44)
  at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl.execute(PageContextImpl.java:2457)
  at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl._execute(PageContextImpl.java:2447)
  at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl.executeCFML(PageContextImpl.java:2418)
  at lucee.runtime.engine.Request.exe(Request.java:44)
  at lucee.runtime.engine.CFMLEngineImpl._service(CFMLEngineImpl.java:1179)
  at lucee.runtime.engine.CFMLEngineImpl.serviceCFML(CFMLEngineImpl.java:1125)
  at lucee.loader.engine.CFMLEngineWrapper.serviceCFML(CFMLEngineWrapper.java:97)
  at lucee.loader.servlet.CFMLServlet.service(CFMLServlet.java:51)
  at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:741)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:231)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)
  at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:53)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)
  at org.apache.catalina.filters.RemoteIpFilter.doFilter(RemoteIpFilter.java:904)
  at org.apache.catalina.filters.RemoteIpFilter.doFilter(RemoteIpFilter.java:961)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:202)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:96)
  at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:541)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:139)
  at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:92)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:74)
  at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:343)
  at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:373)
  at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:65)
  at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:868)
  at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1590)
  at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49)
  at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
  at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
  at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
  at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
 Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
  ... 49 more

Timestamp	7/9/21 2:40:14 PM EDT

File a bug, sounds like you have a corrupted schedule.xml which is under the context/webroot’s WEB-INF directory, regardless Lucee shouldn’t be throwing a NPE

You could try just renaming it, lucee will create a new one. If that’s the issue, please send me privately a copy of the XML file

1 Like

Thanks - I filed the bug: LDEV-3611

Your solution of renaming schedule.xml in the WEB-INF directory worked (required a restart of Lucee). Thank you. When I now click on “Scheduled Tasks” in Lucee Admin - it no longer crashes.

Per your request - I sent you the scheulder.XML file.

2 Likes

I think it’s coz the log file paths(s) in the schedule.xml don’t exist [LDEV-3611] - Lucee

1 Like

I can confirm Zackster is correct. The log directory was deleted after this image was restored from a snapshot of working instance.