<CFQUERY> and INSERT INTO ... OUTPUT returns nothing in query's name (MSSQL Server)

I am upgrading existing app from CF11. As a pattern, we create records in the database throughout the app with a INSERT INTO ... OUTPUT ... VALUES (...). We did this to return the new primary key and possibly anything else we may want (like a computed column) in some cases. Here’s a post elsewhere using this pattern.

Here’s an example

<cfquery name="some_table_INS" datasource="#arguments.DSN#" result="result.metadata" >

BEGIN TRANSACTION
  DECLARE @tmpTableResults TABLE (ID INT);
  INSERT INTO some_table
   ( some_column )
  OUTPUT inserted.primary_key_column INTO @tmpTableResults
  VALUES
	( 'some value for the column' );
  SELECT * FROM @tmpTableResults;
COMMIT TRANSACTION

</cfquery>

In CF11, some_table_INS.ID would contain the new row key. Using Lucee, the some_table_INS variable only is an empty string.

I do find the key in the result.metadata.IDENTITYCOL and result.metadata.generatedKey variables so I can rewrite all of this to use those instead, but we have over 100 queries that use this pattern.

Can anyone spot anything that would prevent the some_table_INS variable (should be a query var, not a string) from being populated?

We are using the class: 'com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver' to talk to SQL Server 2014 EE.

Java Version: 1.8.0_251
Tomcat Version: Apache Tomcat/9.0.36
Lucee Version: 5.3.6.61

I often need to get the id of a newly inserted table row, but using a temp table like you are doing seems a complicated way of doing it.

On an almost identical setup to yours, and with a column in the mssql table set up as unique identity, I do it like this:

<cfquery name="myquery">
		SET NOCOUNT ON
		INSERT INTO table (col1,col2,col3)
		VALUES (
			<cfqueryparam value="#val1#" cfsqltype="cf_sql_timestamp">,
			<cfqueryparam value="#val2#" cfsqltype="cf_sql_char">,
			<cfqueryparam value="#val3#" cfsqltype="cf_sql_integer">)
		SELECT SCOPE_IDENTITY() AS newId 
		SET NOCOUNT OFF
</cfquery>
<cfset newly_inserted_id = myquery.newId>

btw. I never tried it without the NOCOUNT, and tell the truth never really looked into why, or if it is really needed, but it always works as expected…

Richard

Right, it may be a little overkill for the PK alone but

If you have any table triggers in your app, the SCOPE_IDENTITY() options return something other than what you’re looking for. It returns the last identity value generated in any table in the current session. I consider them dangerous in that you may not be getting what you think you’re getting so I avoid using them.

For future self, i just remove the temp table from the query and retained the OUTPUT clause:

<cfquery name="some_table_INS" datasource="#arguments.DSN#" result="result.metadata" >

BEGIN TRANSACTION
  INSERT INTO some_table
   ( some_column )
  OUTPUT inserted.primary_key_column AS ID
  VALUES
	( 'some value for the column' );
COMMIT TRANSACTION

</cfquery>

Not sure why it’s necessary, but it was a rapid solution.

we do it like this…

<cfquery name="some_table_INS" datasource="#arguments.DSN#">
  INSERT INTO some_table ( some_column ) VALUES ( 'some value for the column' )
</cfquery>
<cfset newly_inserted_id=some_table_INS.generatedkey>

Yeah, there are many ways to skin this cat but i was really just questioning if this was a CF11 incompatibility or, was I doing something wrong that just happened to work.