What's the actual remit of this "language" forum?

Continuing the discussion from How do we make configuring Lucee rock?:

Interesting. I thought "about the engine itself and our processes of developing on it " sounds more like the general Google group, and specifically not the remit of this forum.

Sure. People can be mistaken though. I realise some people don’t realise this of themselves, but that just makes an additional thing they are mistaken about. And so it goes.

Still: [shrug]. Might just mean the forum needs renaming. It does just make it seem a bit odd to be running both the Google group and this group for much the same thing then: basically “Lucee stuff”.

Personally I think there is value in having a forum put over to discussing language issues, and all the techno-bureaucratic/-procedural bumpf and platform discussions are perhaps better homed elsewhere. But perhaps I’m saying that because my interest in CFML/Lucee is really restricted the language, and not that other crap (which bores me rigid), and this forums is called the language forum.

The Google group for me is where users ask for help when it comes to using Lucee. A sort of community support group if you will. I think this forum frees up the Google group from that sort of chatter and is a good place for more architecturally-oriented and existential discussions about how the language should work, etc.

I would be in favor of rebranding this forum a bit to make it better encompass more of how the engine is built in general, but in the end it’s just a name. The philosophy of the server, the syntax of the language, and the configuration and deployment of apps are all intrinsically linked. @modius and I talked a bit last night about adding some additional categories in here that might help free you up from the boring bits by tagging the posts a little better.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s cool. All I meant is it should either do what it says on the tin… or say something else on the tin. Either is fine.

Cheers for clarifying, fella.

If the forum is supposed to go beyond language discussions, then yes - there’s a need to rename it to something broader like “Making Lucee”… :smile:

I also think it’d need some additional level of structuring, as @adam_cameron correctly said, not everyone is interested in everything and as much as there is merit in having discussions on XYZ, I personally wouldn’t want to have to dig through all those to find the bits I’d be mainly interested in re contributing.

Fortunately @bdw429s is correct and his question is well placed.

From the Welcome Post…

If you are working on an application that runs on a stable release of Lucee Server, then you should ask for support and advice within the Google Group.

If you are working on any aspect of the Lucee Server platform itself, then the lang.lucee.org forum is the right place.

Is this - the language forum - the correct place for this sort of thing? This rather more belongs on the general forum, doesn’t it? Nothing you mention here has anything to do with either CFML or .lucee: it’s just platform config stuff.

I’m not suggesting it’s not an interesting topic for people who… have interest in this sort of thing, but I think this is the wrong place for it to be?

I actually brought this up originally on the lucee member slack a couple of weeks ago. Dom suggested I post it here for discussion. I asked the same question you just did, but I think this forum has become (at least in the minds of some) as much about the engine itself and our processes of developing on it as it is about the syntax and behavior of the language.

Additional categories are certainly possible, and will be introduced once the volume on the forum picks up. At the moment the volume of topics is such that adding additional categories or subcategories seems like guesswork.

My personal view on these things is to “go with the flow” – categories inevitably “present” themselves as people use a forum. If you see a regular pattern of topics that should be corralled into a category let me know, and I’ll create and curate :wink:

How other products solve this is by having a user and dev groups (whether they are mailing lists or whatever)

So the Lucee google group is for “users” of the product, and for them to get support and questions on using the product answered.

The dev is for people developing features or fixing bugs for the product and all related issues (developing installers etc). In this case it would also come down to the language. So the clearest thing I can think to do is just rename the link to this forum to dev.lucee.org and a link to the google group to be user.lucee.org (for example, as well as having forums.lucee.org as that is also what people could expect)

How does that sound?

So for example if I was having a problem using myArray.reduce(), then I’d ask for help on support. If however I found a problem with Array.reduce() (eg: a potential bug with it, or a suggested enhancement), then I’d bring it to dev?

Sounds about right to me, and is a good division of concepts.

Yeah, if say, (like me) you wouldn’t know how to use Array.reduce() loads of people can jump in and help you in the forums.

If you (and it would be you wouldn’t it??) has issues with the docs or how it is described or if it should be called mapreduce instead it should be discussed here imho.

Eclipse had similar separations in their groups as did CFEclipse.

Yup, that’s a very good suggestion. Flex and other Apache projects follow that idea, too.