Understanding Caching

Hi all, Im trying to understand the cache setting in lucee server admin. I want to use a Redis cache for all the caching purposes, but it seems you can only have one default per cache, does this mean I should create a seperate cache connection for each of the types (object, function etc) even if they point to the same Redis instance? Or can I somehow set a default cache for all?
What does it mean when a default cache connection is not set, i.e. the ------- in the dropdown? Does that mean that no caching is done for that object/template?

can I somehow set a default cache for all?

It seems that’s not possible from the UI. I’m not sure why, but I’m sure you could create more than one cache connection that just point to the same redis bucket. Just keep in mind, there may be additional cleanup that happens on a cache connection for certain types of caches so having them all in the same store may have issues.

What does it mean when a default cache connection is not set, i.e. the ------- in the dropdown

It means there’s no default cache selected for that type of caching

Does that mean that no caching is done for that object/template?

Whether or not the caches are used depends on your app code. Lucee doesn’t just randomly store stuff in the object cache. You do that in your code when you use cachePut() and cacheGet(). Query caching is specified on your cfqueries. Function caching is specified on your function declarations, etc, etc And if you don’t specify an explicit cache connection name, it will use the default cache for that type of caching. And if you don’t specify an explicit cache name and there is also no default cache for that type, you’ll get an error thrown.

Excellent, thanks @bdw429s