Perm Gen Space

Erm… wow.

I’m pretty sure I’d run Windows 10 64bit and virtualize a 32bit “machine” to run the old stuff before I installed 32bit on bare metal. Especially given how transparent something like VMware Fusion is on a mac w/ Unity… Virtual PC, windows containers, vmware… I’m sure there’s a better solution. Better to run the host OS at 64bit with full power and use that for things you can leverage 64B for… and the 32bit VM isn’t going to suffer much from virtualization - it’ll suffer from being memory cramped regardless.

You can’t run these apps on dos/WOW? Are you truly running DOS or just old windows? (Windows 95? XP)?

I realize this is OT and probably more political/policy than technical, it’s just really surprising to me.

Hi Joe!

To answer your questions, these are pure DOS apps (I believe they’re written in Foxpro 2.0?), started up via command line (cmd.exe) on Windows 10 32b. They’ve been unable to run in emulators (e.g. DOSbox, etc.) and have major issues with some of the custom hardware that runs off of serial and parallel ports as well as some keyboard commands (these apps are “pre-mouse”) when trying virtual pc, vmware, etc. and besides they run painfully slow in those environments compared to on bare metal.

Microsoft still fully supports 32b with Windows 10 and Office, etc. so for the several hundred workstations using it there’s really no issue at all. Aside from some of this dev work for Lucee, there is nothing in use that could/would “leverage 64b power.”

As I said earlier, there are plenty of ways around this for Lucee dev workstations (which are very few) Simply use a diff system that has no access to the DOS apps, etc. - so it’s not as though the issue is a huge blocker moving forward.

The issue is a million line log file that oughtn’t be happening regardless, or at least should be able to be turned off especially because it’s meaningless. I don;t think we really know yet whether the 32-bitness is even related to it…

Thanks Terry. These are DOS applications, so they are not 32-bit but rather 16-bit. Windows 64b cannot run 16-bit applications directly, only Windows 32b still has that capability.

Windows 10 (64bit) any edition can run 16 bit applications.

The Windows Subsystem 32 bit extensions still include the 16 bit “thunk” instructions. Its one of the mandates by the US GOV to be able to run something written in 1982 on 2019’s hardware.

Open up an elevated command prompt
Run the following command
FONDUE.exe /enable-feature:NTVDM

Install the extension.

Now go run your favorite 16 bit applications.

I’m afraid you’re mistaken. Your suggestion is indeed how we run DOS applications on Windows 10 32 bit, but it is not supported for a 64 bit operating system.

Simply put, you cannot run DOS applications on a 64 bit Windows OS without some form of virtualization (i.e. running them in Hyper-V, VMware, etc.) or emulation (i.e. DOSbox, vDOS, etc.) and both of these have their own issues as I mention above.

You can run DOS 16 bit applications under Windows 10 64, is it supported no, does it work yes.

This goes well beyond the scope of Lucee but If you really are interested I will send you a how to, It can be done, as We actively do it. The key is getting it running on Windows 10 32 bit, and then coping the entire ndntvdm over to the 64 bit environment. Its been about 2 years since I have had to do this, but the “how to” has not changed

If you have figured that out I’d be thrilled to try it out. Please DM me with details.