Lucee-inst.jar slows down startup

We have an issue with lucee-inst.jar. Without having it enabled our
web-contexts (about 20) start up in between 1 to 3 minutes. Having
lucee-inst.jar enabled, we can wait for more than 15 minutes (high CPU
usage all the time) and usually they won’t start up at all.
Some words to our environment:

  • Java 1.8
  • Nginx & Tomcat 8
  • lucee 4.5.2
    The application itself uses transferOrm, so we generate a lot of classes on
    the fly.

The reason why I’d like to enable it, is that we have regular crashes
because of low free perm gen space.

Any ideas why lucee-inst.jar slows down startup?
Cheers
Mischa

Hi Mischa,

Don’t have this particular issue with lucee-inst.jar however take a look at
this thread about Lucee startup time:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/lucee/Z0MqvS7z9gw

There are some suggestions in there that really do make it much much faster
to startup.

Kind regards,

Andrew
about.me http://about.me/andrew_dixon - mso http://www.mso.net - Lucee
Association Member http://lucee.orgOn 18 October 2015 at 11:21, Mischa Sameli <@Mischa_Sameli> wrote:

We have an issue with lucee-inst.jar. Without having it enabled our
web-contexts (about 20) start up in between 1 to 3 minutes. Having
lucee-inst.jar enabled, we can wait for more than 15 minutes (high CPU
usage all the time) and usually they won’t start up at all.
Some words to our environment:

  • Java 1.8
  • Nginx & Tomcat 8
  • lucee 4.5.2
    The application itself uses transferOrm, so we generate a lot of classes
    on the fly.

The reason why I’d like to enable it, is that we have regular crashes
because of low free perm gen space.

Any ideas why lucee-inst.jar slows down startup?
Cheers
Mischa


See Lucee at CFCamp Oct 22 & 23 2015 @ Munich Airport, Germany - Get your
ticket NOW - http://www.cfcamp.org/

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
“Lucee” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to lucee+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to lucee@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/cd4215ce-df1a-4649-9e53-02d3913719ca%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/cd4215ce-df1a-4649-9e53-02d3913719ca%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Chris
We’re still on ColdSprint 1.x because of stability issues with coldSpring
2. But I don’t think this makes the difference. Do you know how many
classes are present in your cfclasses folder?
Maybe 1 app per jvm could be a way to go for us. But that means a lot of
configuration.
Our application code doesn’t change as well between restarts. But we
cleanup transferOrm generated files. And these classes are the only ones
that are recreated - in theory.
BR
MischaAm Montag, 19. Oktober 2015 08:56:16 UTC+2 schrieb Chris Blackwell:

As you say, lucee-inst.jar agent is used for managing recompilation of
cfml templates, so if your sites templates/cfcs don’t change between
restarts, is it doing anything useful for you?

fwiw, we run 4.5.2 without lucee-inst, the app uses coldspring2 and is
very component heavy and performance is fine, but our code does not change
between restarts and we run one app per jvm.

Chris

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 05:55 Mischa Sameli <mischa...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:

Hi Andrew
Thanks for the optimizations you’ve mentioned. They are already applied.
And the issue in my eyes is not related to startup speed of tomcat. 1 to 2
minutes for 20 contexts is fair. But the application itself takes hell long
to initialize. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes or more and it’s not granted
that there will be a response.

As far as I know, lucee-inst is used to get smarter class compilation. So
classes are overwritten in jvm instead of created once again. And this
should help to reduce memory usage and gc work.
Well, I’m afraid that transerOrm or coldSpring which is used in those 20
installations are generating too many new classes on startup.
I don’t think it’s hardware related, we use SSD and 64GB RAM, not running
in a VM.

Any more ideas or experiences?

Am Sonntag, 18. Oktober 2015 16:30:38 UTC+2 schrieb Andrew Dixon:

Hi Mischa,

Don’t have this particular issue with lucee-inst.jar however take a look
at this thread about Lucee startup time:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/lucee/Z0MqvS7z9gw

There are some suggestions in there that really do make it much much
faster to startup.

Kind regards,

Andrew
about.me http://about.me/andrew_dixon - mso http://www.mso.net - Lucee
Association Member http://lucee.org

On 18 October 2015 at 11:21, Mischa Sameli mischa...@gmail.com wrote:

We have an issue with lucee-inst.jar. Without having it enabled our

web-contexts (about 20) start up in between 1 to 3 minutes. Having
lucee-inst.jar enabled, we can wait for more than 15 minutes (high CPU
usage all the time) and usually they won’t start up at all.
Some words to our environment:

  • Java 1.8
  • Nginx & Tomcat 8
  • lucee 4.5.2
    The application itself uses transferOrm, so we generate a lot of
    classes on the fly.

The reason why I’d like to enable it, is that we have regular crashes
because of low free perm gen space.

Any ideas why lucee-inst.jar slows down startup?
Cheers
Mischa

See Lucee at CFCamp Oct 22 & 23 2015 @ Munich Airport, Germany - Get
your ticket NOW - http://www.cfcamp.org/

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “Lucee” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send

an email to lucee+un...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to lu...@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/cd4215ce-df1a-4649-9e53-02d3913719ca%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/cd4215ce-df1a-4649-9e53-02d3913719ca%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


See Lucee at CFCamp Oct 22 & 23 2015 @ Munich Airport, Germany - Get your
ticket NOW - http://www.cfcamp.org/


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
“Lucee” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to lucee+un...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
To post to this group, send email to lu...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/e92c9281-d5d2-4316-884c-94b58e4aea2d%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/e92c9281-d5d2-4316-884c-94b58e4aea2d%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Micha
There are about 2000 classes (25 mb) present for each context. But I don’t
know whether this is huge, normal or just not worth mentioning…
Thanks for your precious time.
MischaAm Montag, 19. Oktober 2015 09:21:51 UTC+2 schrieb Micha:

Could be related to your perm gen space problem. The Lucee-Inst.jar adds a
Java agent to the environment that scans every class loaded, so if you have
a lot of classes this could be the problem. How big is your cfclasses
folders?
There is a (experimental) way to reduce the size of classes by extracting
text fragments out of the classes with help of a simple setting. I will
look it up and let you know.

Micha

Am Sonntag, 18. Oktober 2015 schrieb Mischa Sameli :

We have an issue with lucee-inst.jar. Without having it enabled our
web-contexts (about 20) start up in between 1 to 3 minutes. Having
lucee-inst.jar enabled, we can wait for more than 15 minutes (high CPU
usage all the time) and usually they won’t start up at all.
Some words to our environment:

  • Java 1.8
  • Nginx & Tomcat 8
  • lucee 4.5.2
    The application itself uses transferOrm, so we generate a lot of classes
    on the fly.

The reason why I’d like to enable it, is that we have regular crashes
because of low free perm gen space.

Any ideas why lucee-inst.jar slows down startup?
Cheers
Mischa


See Lucee at CFCamp Oct 22 & 23 2015 @ Munich Airport, Germany - Get your
ticket NOW - http://www.cfcamp.org/

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
“Lucee” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to lucee+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to lucee@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/cd4215ce-df1a-4649-9e53-02d3913719ca%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/cd4215ce-df1a-4649-9e53-02d3913719ca%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

As you say, lucee-inst.jar agent is used for managing recompilation of cfml
templates, so if your sites templates/cfcs don’t change between restarts,
is it doing anything useful for you?

fwiw, we run 4.5.2 without lucee-inst, the app uses coldspring2 and is very
component heavy and performance is fine, but our code does not change
between restarts and we run one app per jvm.

ChrisOn Mon, 19 Oct 2015 05:55 Mischa Sameli <@Mischa_Sameli> wrote:

Hi Andrew
Thanks for the optimizations you’ve mentioned. They are already applied.
And the issue in my eyes is not related to startup speed of tomcat. 1 to 2
minutes for 20 contexts is fair. But the application itself takes hell long
to initialize. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes or more and it’s not granted
that there will be a response.

As far as I know, lucee-inst is used to get smarter class compilation. So
classes are overwritten in jvm instead of created once again. And this
should help to reduce memory usage and gc work.
Well, I’m afraid that transerOrm or coldSpring which is used in those 20
installations are generating too many new classes on startup.
I don’t think it’s hardware related, we use SSD and 64GB RAM, not running
in a VM.

Any more ideas or experiences?

Am Sonntag, 18. Oktober 2015 16:30:38 UTC+2 schrieb Andrew Dixon:

Hi Mischa,

Don’t have this particular issue with lucee-inst.jar however take a look
at this thread about Lucee startup time:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/lucee/Z0MqvS7z9gw

There are some suggestions in there that really do make it much much
faster to startup.

Kind regards,

Andrew
about.me http://about.me/andrew_dixon - mso http://www.mso.net - Lucee
Association Member http://lucee.org

On 18 October 2015 at 11:21, Mischa Sameli mischa...@gmail.com wrote:

We have an issue with lucee-inst.jar. Without having it enabled our

web-contexts (about 20) start up in between 1 to 3 minutes. Having
lucee-inst.jar enabled, we can wait for more than 15 minutes (high CPU
usage all the time) and usually they won’t start up at all.
Some words to our environment:

  • Java 1.8
  • Nginx & Tomcat 8
  • lucee 4.5.2
    The application itself uses transferOrm, so we generate a lot of classes
    on the fly.

The reason why I’d like to enable it, is that we have regular crashes
because of low free perm gen space.

Any ideas why lucee-inst.jar slows down startup?
Cheers
Mischa

See Lucee at CFCamp Oct 22 & 23 2015 @ Munich Airport, Germany - Get
your ticket NOW - http://www.cfcamp.org/

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “Lucee” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an

email to lucee+un...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to lu...@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/cd4215ce-df1a-4649-9e53-02d3913719ca%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/cd4215ce-df1a-4649-9e53-02d3913719ca%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


See Lucee at CFCamp Oct 22 & 23 2015 @ Munich Airport, Germany - Get your
ticket NOW - http://www.cfcamp.org/


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
“Lucee” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to lucee+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to lucee@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/e92c9281-d5d2-4316-884c-94b58e4aea2d%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/e92c9281-d5d2-4316-884c-94b58e4aea2d%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Andrew
Thanks for the optimizations you’ve mentioned. They are already applied.
And the issue in my eyes is not related to startup speed of tomcat. 1 to 2
minutes for 20 contexts is fair. But the application itself takes hell long
to initialize. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes or more and it’s not granted
that there will be a response.

As far as I know, lucee-inst is used to get smarter class compilation. So
classes are overwritten in jvm instead of created once again. And this
should help to reduce memory usage and gc work.
Well, I’m afraid that transerOrm or coldSpring which is used in those 20
installations are generating too many new classes on startup.
I don’t think it’s hardware related, we use SSD and 64GB RAM, not running
in a VM.

Any more ideas or experiences?Am Sonntag, 18. Oktober 2015 16:30:38 UTC+2 schrieb Andrew Dixon:

Hi Mischa,

Don’t have this particular issue with lucee-inst.jar however take a look
at this thread about Lucee startup time:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/lucee/Z0MqvS7z9gw

There are some suggestions in there that really do make it much much
faster to startup.

Kind regards,

Andrew
about.me http://about.me/andrew_dixon - mso http://www.mso.net - Lucee
Association Member http://lucee.org

On 18 October 2015 at 11:21, Mischa Sameli <mischa...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:

We have an issue with lucee-inst.jar. Without having it enabled our
web-contexts (about 20) start up in between 1 to 3 minutes. Having
lucee-inst.jar enabled, we can wait for more than 15 minutes (high CPU
usage all the time) and usually they won’t start up at all.
Some words to our environment:

  • Java 1.8
  • Nginx & Tomcat 8
  • lucee 4.5.2
    The application itself uses transferOrm, so we generate a lot of classes
    on the fly.

The reason why I’d like to enable it, is that we have regular crashes
because of low free perm gen space.

Any ideas why lucee-inst.jar slows down startup?
Cheers
Mischa


See Lucee at CFCamp Oct 22 & 23 2015 @ Munich Airport, Germany - Get your
ticket NOW - http://www.cfcamp.org/

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
“Lucee” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to lucee+un...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
To post to this group, send email to lu...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/cd4215ce-df1a-4649-9e53-02d3913719ca%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/cd4215ce-df1a-4649-9e53-02d3913719ca%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Could be related to your perm gen space problem. The Lucee-Inst.jar adds a
Java agent to the environment that scans every class loaded, so if you have
a lot of classes this could be the problem. How big is your cfclasses
folders?
There is a (experimental) way to reduce the size of classes by extracting
text fragments out of the classes with help of a simple setting. I will
look it up and let you know.

MichaAm Sonntag, 18. Oktober 2015 schrieb Mischa Sameli :

We have an issue with lucee-inst.jar. Without having it enabled our
web-contexts (about 20) start up in between 1 to 3 minutes. Having
lucee-inst.jar enabled, we can wait for more than 15 minutes (high CPU
usage all the time) and usually they won’t start up at all.
Some words to our environment:

  • Java 1.8
  • Nginx & Tomcat 8
  • lucee 4.5.2
    The application itself uses transferOrm, so we generate a lot of classes
    on the fly.

The reason why I’d like to enable it, is that we have regular crashes
because of low free perm gen space.

Any ideas why lucee-inst.jar slows down startup?
Cheers
Mischa


See Lucee at CFCamp Oct 22 & 23 2015 @ Munich Airport, Germany - Get your
ticket NOW - http://www.cfcamp.org/

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
“Lucee” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to lucee+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,‘cvml’,‘lucee%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com’);>.
To post to this group, send email to lucee@googlegroups.com
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,‘cvml’,‘lucee@googlegroups.com’);>.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/cd4215ce-df1a-4649-9e53-02d3913719ca%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/cd4215ce-df1a-4649-9e53-02d3913719ca%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Terry
we use centOS7 64bitAm Dienstag, 20. Oktober 2015 14:08:34 UTC+2 schrieb Terry Whitney:

What Operating System?

I ask as there are several known issues depending on OS & processor type
with Java & Tomcat.

On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 6:21:45 AM UTC-4, Mischa Sameli wrote:

We have an issue with lucee-inst.jar. Without having it enabled our
web-contexts (about 20) start up in between 1 to 3 minutes. Having
lucee-inst.jar enabled, we can wait for more than 15 minutes (high CPU
usage all the time) and usually they won’t start up at all.
Some words to our environment:

  • Java 1.8
  • Nginx & Tomcat 8
  • lucee 4.5.2
    The application itself uses transferOrm, so we generate a lot of classes
    on the fly.

The reason why I’d like to enable it, is that we have regular crashes
because of low free perm gen space.

Any ideas why lucee-inst.jar slows down startup?
Cheers
Mischa

Check for the existance of /dev/urandom

if it does not exist, then create it

mknod -m 644 /dev/urandom c 1 9

chown root:root /dev/random /dev/urandom

then add the following
vi /etc/rc.local

add the following to the file:

#/bin/bash!###

  if [ -f /var/random-seed ]; then
            cat /var/random-seed >/dev/urandom
    fi
    dd if=/dev/urandom of=/var/random-seed count=1

Then save the file;

Run the command:
chmod a+x /etc/rc.local

reboot the server

On Sunday, October 1 8, 2015 at 6:21:45 AM UTC-4, Mischa Sameli wrote:

We have an issue with lucee-inst.jar. Without having it enabled our
web-contexts (about 20) start up in between 1 to 3 minutes. Having
lucee-inst.jar enabled, we can wait for more than 15 minutes (high CPU
usage all the time) and usually they won’t start up at all.
Some words to our environment:

  • Java 1.8
  • Nginx & Tomcat 8
  • lucee 4.5.2
    The application itself uses transferOrm, so we generate a lot of classes
    on the fly.

The reason why I’d like to enable it, is that we have regular crashes
because of low free perm gen space.

Any ideas why lucee-inst.jar slows down startup?
Cheers
Mischa

What Operating System?

I ask as there are several known issues depending on OS & processor type
with Java & Tomcat.On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 6:21:45 AM UTC-4, Mischa Sameli wrote:

We have an issue with lucee-inst.jar. Without having it enabled our
web-contexts (about 20) start up in between 1 to 3 minutes. Having
lucee-inst.jar enabled, we can wait for more than 15 minutes (high CPU
usage all the time) and usually they won’t start up at all.
Some words to our environment:

  • Java 1.8
  • Nginx & Tomcat 8
  • lucee 4.5.2
    The application itself uses transferOrm, so we generate a lot of classes
    on the fly.

The reason why I’d like to enable it, is that we have regular crashes
because of low free perm gen space.

Any ideas why lucee-inst.jar slows down startup?
Cheers
Mischa

Before lucee/railo provided this mechanism, we were cleaning up classes
using these java tuning parameters:

                  -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
                  -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled
                  -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrentAndUnloadsClasses

PhilOn Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 9:21:45 PM UTC+11, Mischa Sameli wrote:

We have an issue with lucee-inst.jar. Without having it enabled our
web-contexts (about 20) start up in between 1 to 3 minutes. Having
lucee-inst.jar enabled, we can wait for more than 15 minutes (high CPU
usage all the time) and usually they won’t start up at all.
Some words to our environment:

  • Java 1.8
  • Nginx & Tomcat 8
  • lucee 4.5.2
    The application itself uses transferOrm, so we generate a lot of classes
    on the fly.

The reason why I’d like to enable it, is that we have regular crashes
because of low free perm gen space.

Any ideas why lucee-inst.jar slows down startup?
Cheers
Mischa

One more thing, in tomcat

// File: conf/context.xml,

You can change the scanning method. Granted you will want to test this
before you just throw it out to production,
That will keep Tomcat from trying
to scan every freaking file on init.On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 6:21:45 AM UTC-4, Mischa Sameli wrote:

We have an issue with lucee-inst.jar. Without having it enabled our
web-contexts (about 20) start up in between 1 to 3 minutes. Having
lucee-inst.jar enabled, we can wait for more than 15 minutes (high CPU
usage all the time) and usually they won’t start up at all.
Some words to our environment:

  • Java 1.8
  • Nginx & Tomcat 8
  • lucee 4.5.2
    The application itself uses transferOrm, so we generate a lot of classes
    on the fly.

The reason why I’d like to enable it, is that we have regular crashes
because of low free perm gen space.

Any ideas why lucee-inst.jar slows down startup?
Cheers
Mischa