LUCEE Express ZIP Win 2016 Starts with Java Error

Sorry in advance

I am a bit confused and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I want to first test Lucee and then use LUCEE. I extracted the Express and ran the startup.bat and received a Java error.

I found a link to download Java and it was a directory with Java but I honestly have no clue where to place it.

I think Lucee Express’ startup script uses environment variables to “find” java.

If you want to easily spin up Lucee servers, may I suggest the CommandBox CLI? Download the “JRE Included” download and you can start up any number of Lucee servers running any version in any folder on your hard drive with a nice tray icon for each and fully configurable via a JSON file. It’s light years ahead of Lucee express (full disclosure, I’m the lead dev of CommandBox :slight_smile: )

Getting Started Guide - CommandBox : CLI, Package Manager, REPL & More
Embedded Server - CommandBox : CLI, Package Manager, REPL & More

Ha

I did that yesterday and I let it install in my user profile.
It worked and I deleted it because I thought it was not the kosher version but I had it up and running.

Where can I point Commandbox safely.

Once I have it up where is the best place to start.

I have a MASSIVE ADOBE CFML 8 Application I am trying to save. Management wants to move away to dotnet but its taking forever and onboard tech is great at CF hence WE prefer CF.

Railo I had up and running 5 years ago but no one tried it. SO Now I am 5 years older.

HAHA

I assume ODBC is not used to talk to the DB correct as my Dev mentioned that and I replied dont think so. Be happy to hear I am wrong.

It worked and I deleted it because I thought it was not the kosher version but I had it up and running.

There’s nothing unkosher about CommandBox, it’s just a servlet container like Tomcat or Jetty. The CF Engine war that deploys is just a standard Lucee war that is taken from the official Lucee update server. CommandBox is powered by JBoss Undertow which is very small, fast, and configurable. Our CommandBox-powered Docker images are powering 1 in 3 CF sites deployed on Docker (according to the 2019 State of the CF Union survey) so there’s nothing to worry about there. CommandBox is a popular option for dev all the way to production.

Where can I point Commandbox safely.

Not sure what you’re asking there? What exactly do you want to “point” and what are you afraid won’t be “safe”? You can start up a web server in any directory you choose simply by CDing into that web root and running

server start

If you’re asking about the location the CommandBox core files unpack into, your user home is fine unless you want to get fancy and use our Service Manager module to start creating Windows services, etc, then it can be handy to hard-code the location, but I’d cross that bridge when you get there.

I have a MASSIVE ADOBE CFML 8 Application I am trying to save. Management wants to move away to dotnet but its taking forever and onboard tech is great at CF hence WE prefer CF.

Agreed, CF will serve you much better :slight_smile:

I assume ODBC is not used to talk to the DB

Unless you’re using an MS Access DB, I’m not aware of any valid reason to be using ODBC in 2020. Lucee ships with out of the box drivers for SQL Server, MySQL, PostreSQL, Oracle, etc.

confused still.

I have it running as you show but a browser opens and shows forbidden

At this address http://127.0.0.1:55106/

How do I get it to see some CF code and then connect some DBs.

It talks about a full web Gui.

I see this is not version 5. Wasn’t there a big change to V5?

Thanks so much for assistance

Doug

Using MS SQL

Where do I manage the SQL connecttions?

It may be best if we move the CommandBox discussion over to the CFML Slack team.

https://cfml-slack.herokuapp.com/

I have it running as you show but a browser opens and shows forbidden

That would be because you don’t have an index.cfm in the web root. CommandBox disabled directory browsing by default.

How do I get it to see some CF code

Just like any other server, it will serve whatever files are in the web root. Remember, the web root is whatever folder you started the server in. If you started the server in the wrong folder, stop it and change to the correct location first.

and then connect some DBs.

The same way you would on any Lucee server. CommandBox doesn’t change any of that.

It talks about a full web Gui.

What talks about a full web GUI? I can’t read your mind :slight_smile: If you’re asking about the Lucee server admin, CommandBox doesn’t do anything special there, it’s still in the same location as any Lucee server. You can easily open it by clicking on the tray icon and choosing “Open” > “Server admin” and it will open your browser to the correct URL for you.

I see this is not version 5. Wasn’t there a big change to V5?

What is not version 5? Lucee? CommandBox? The latest stable version of CommandBox (4.8.0) will start up a Lucee 5.2.9 server by default, though you can ask it for any version you like via the cfengine parameter.

Where do I manage the SQL connecttions?

In the Lucee server admin.

You’ll want to look into the CFConfig module for CommandBox as it will pull your configuration across engine upgrades and also lets you import/export your data sources to/from a JSON file.

Sorry Dumb questions agreed.

I found the part about Index.cfm and yes its running.

I do not know LUCEE at all. So its not a Commandbox issue its a Doug issue

Whats the quickest way to get basic DB setup docs etc.

Can I use IIS or do I not want to? This is on a Server 2016 server.

The GUI I meant to ask about was a management Page where I can configure DBs and other settings.,

Again Thanks and sorry for the dumb ass questions

Doug

Sorry Dumb questions agreed.

Nah, not dumb-- you’ve just lot a lot of things you’re trying to learn at the same time! :wink:

I do not know LUCEE at all.

Got it. Lucee is nearly identical to Railo in functionality and compatibility other than 4 years or so of additional development and features since Railo was forked into Lucee. The server admin site has received a makeover, but it’s the same basic config you used before in the same basic place.

Whats the quickest way to get basic DB setup docs etc.

Here’s a great guide that covers a lot of basics for getting Lucee setup:

https://rorylaitila.gitbooks.io/lucee/content/sqlrdbms.html

Can I use IIS or do I not want to?

You can certainly use IIS if you like, but unless your app has some sort of very specific requirement for an IIS feature, then not only is it not necessary, but few people do it-- at least for local development. CommandBox/Undertow has a nice web server built in that supports virtual directories, basic auth, SSL, custom ports, URL rewrites, logging, etc and it’s designed to be a one-stop-shop for your local dev needs. The idea is any dev can clone your repo seeded with a few json files, run server start and they get the exact same server started up as everyone else on your team regardless of their OS.

The GUI I meant to ask about was a management Page where I can configure DBs and other settings.,

Yep, that’s the Lucee server admin you can get to via the menu on your tray icon that I mentioned before and it works similar to how the Railo server admin worked and similar to how the Adobe server admin works. If you can’t find that tray icon (Windows likes to hide then on you) you can simply slap /lucee/admin/server.cfm on your URL in the browser.

OK Setting up an account in the other chat.

I did get cfconfig installed and will follow up over there