Lucee 5.1.3.18 Install Fails

I can’t seem to get Lucee to install correctly. I got the Lucee Windows installer from here. Once the Lucee installer gets close to finishing, it gets stuck on the “Starting Lucee Service” page. The Windows Services console indicates that the Lucee service is already started. See this screenshot for reference.

It will sit on this screen for at least 10 minutes. I haven’t been patient enough to wait any longer than that because it seems that it shouldn’t take that long for Lucee to start. If I manually restart the Lucee service, the installer finishes. However, I’m then unable to access the Lucee server admin.

Lucee 5.1.3.18 Error (missinginclude)
Message	Page /lucee/server/admin.cfm [C:\lucee\tomcat\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\lucee\context\server\admin.cfm] not found
Mapping	/lucee
Java Stacktrace	lucee.runtime.exp.MissingIncludeException: Page /lucee/server/admin.cfm [C:\lucee\tomcat\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\lucee\context\server\admin.cfm] not found 
 	at lucee.runtime.PageSourceImpl.loadPage(PageSourceImpl.java:908) 
 	at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl._doInclude(PageContextImpl.java:919) 
 	at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl._doInclude(PageContextImpl.java:838) 
 	at lucee.runtime.listener.ModernAppListener._onRequest(ModernAppListener.java:226) 
 	at lucee.runtime.listener.ModernAppListener.onRequest(ModernAppListener.java:103) 
 	at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl.execute(PageContextImpl.java:2394) 
 	at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl._execute(PageContextImpl.java:2385) 
 	at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl.executeCFML(PageContextImpl.java:2353) 
 	at lucee.runtime.engine.CFMLEngineImpl.serviceCFML(CFMLEngineImpl.java:917) 
 	at lucee.loader.engine.CFMLEngineWrapper.serviceCFML(CFMLEngineWrapper.java:102) 
 	at lucee.loader.servlet.CFMLServlet.service(CFMLServlet.java:62) 
 	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729) 
 	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:230) 
 	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:165) 
 	at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52) 
 	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:192) 
 	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:165) 
 	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:198) 
 	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:96) 
 	at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:474) 
 	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:140) 
 	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:79) 
 	at mod_cfml.core.invoke(core.java:152) 
 	at org.apache.catalina.valves.AbstractAccessLogValve.invoke(AbstractAccessLogValve.java:624) 
 	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:87) 
 	at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:349) 
 	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:783) 
 	at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:66) 
 	at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:798) 
 	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1434) 
 	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49) 
 	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) 
 	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) 
 	at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61) 
 	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) 

Timestamp	4/24/17 1:51:49 PM CDT

I’ve been running a fresh install since I posted this, and it’s still just sitting at the “Starting Lucee Service” screen. That’s over two hours, and I feel it’s a safe assumption that it shouldn’t be taking that long.

There should be an install.log in the Lucee root folder. Does that provide any clues as to what’s going wrong?

@Julian_Halliwell I don’t see an install log anywhere in my Lucee root. I also couldn’t locate the log elsewhere.

Strange. One always gets written whenever I use the installer. Do you have a JAVA_HOME environment variable defined pointing to a JDK? I’ve found the absence of that can cause problems.

I didn’t have JAVA_HOME defined previously. I added that to my environment variables, uninstalled Lucee, started a fresh Lucee install and it still got stuck on the “starting Lucee” screen. I left it like that yesterday, came back today to discover the server had been rebooted due to Windows Updates. Now everything appears to be working as expected.

Not sure if it was the newly created environment variable or the reboot that did it. Anyway, thanks for the help.

1 Like