Lucee 4.5 & REST API, 404 response?

I can set up ColdBox REST in 30 seconds :wink:

CommandBox> coldbox create app skeleton=rest
1 Like

Fair play. I thought you might add this! :grinning:

1 Like

The only thing I would say, is how easy is it to use ColdBox REST API with a non ColdBox environment. Let’s say I wanted to use FW1 or a bespoke CF framework, could I use CommandBox to add a REST API skeleton?

Not to highjack this thread too much, but yes it’s possible. You’d probably need to customize a few things from the default skeleton depending on whether you wanted the ColdBox REST to be in a subfolder vs part of the main app. I assume the same would be true of Taffy all the same.

1 Like

That’s good to know. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes. Taffy is framework agnostic. It sits in a sub folder within the webroot or above the webroot.

ColdBox REST and Taffy.io are both great frameworks! Both are stronger than Lucee’s inbuilt REST functionality.

It never was or is my intention to discourage from using any of them. Both are really great. Very the opposite: Having these frameworks available in cfml is good for the CFML’s world, and everyone should always consider every available option to find out which one is best for his purpose. I always encourage to look and try each available flavour/option first and then choose what feels best for yourself.

In my opinion the Lucee docs just had too little written about its own inbuilt REST functionality and the common issues envolved, which repeatedly popped up in this community site from time to time. There is a good video from Micha titled “part 1” (that tells that there should be a “part 2” somewhere, but that’s missing) and there were few hints in the docs about REST, which lead to way too many users banging their heads and posting to this community site. That’s all.

I totally agree with you.

I think what I am saying is that the inbuilt REST functionality of Lucee, should be the easiest of all options to implement. The fact that it isn’t leads me to these conclusions. Either Lucee should remove this functionality or rebuild it, to make it a one click option.

My solution would be for Lucee to get in touch with either Adam Tuttle or Brad Wood to see if Lucee could implement either of these solutions. With the former, all that would be required, is a REST sub folder, created during the Lucee installation. The server admin can then decide whether to copy this folder, into a new website, if REST is required. The only other thing needed is a new entry in the web.config file on Windows server.