Installation Fail - Timeout starting Tomcat

Windows 10
Lucee - latest available build

Hello,
Having a hard time getting a successful working install.

Near the end of the install I get a timeout error telling me that Tomcat didn’s start.
Do I just need to increase the timeout to a longer interval?

I checked with Netstat and the ports are not in use 8888 etc

I checked the Windows firewall…noting seems blocked.

Incidentally, I had this exact same problem installing Railo and the install process looks exactly the same.

Thanks in advance.

try running the batch files in \lucee\tomcat\bin i.e. first startup.bat, service.bat see if they report any errors

you can also have a look into the tomcat logs if that doesn’t work

Thanks Zac
It looks like a Dos windows flashed by super fast then closes.
Netstat reports no ports opened on the expected ports. Tomcat does not seem to start

sorry, should have been more explicit, try running the batch files via the command prompt

1 Like

hope you solved it, can you share what the problem was?

Sure and thanks for your help!

Here’s what I get when I run startup.bat

Using CATALINA_BASE:   "C:\Lucee\tomcat\"
Using CATALINA_HOME:   "C:\Lucee\tomcat\"
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: "C:\Lucee\tomcat\\temp"
Using JRE_HOME:        "C:\Program Files\Java\jre-10.0.1"
Using CLASSPATH:       "C:\Lucee\tomcat\\bin\bootstrap.jar;C:\Lucee\tomcat\\bin\tomcat-juli.jar"

-Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\Lucee\tomcat\\endorsed is not supported.

Endorsed standards and standalone APIs in modular form will be supported via the concept of upgradeable modules.

Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

I don’t think that many users tested Lucee with Java 10. Stick to the latest Java 8 for now:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/server-jre8-downloads-2133154.html

Ok, I’ll uninstall java 10 and try java 8.

Do I only need to install JRE or both JRE and JDK ?

Thanks again for your help !!! :grinning:

Oh…
I also have Xampp installed…does that make any difference?

Just the JDK, or the Server JRE.

C:\lucee\tomcat\bin>configtest.bat
Using CATALINA_BASE:   "C:\Lucee\tomcat\"
Using CATALINA_HOME:   "C:\Lucee\tomcat\"
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: "C:\Lucee\tomcat\\temp"
Using JRE_HOME:        "C:\Program Files\Java\jre-10.0.1"
Using CLASSPATH:       "C:\Lucee\tomcat\\bin\bootstrap.jar;C:\Lucee\tomcat\\bin\tomcat-juli.jar"
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\Lucee\tomcat\\endorsed is not supported. Endorsed standards and standalone APIs
in modular form will be supported via the concept of upgradeable modules.

Your environment variable is still pointing to a Java 10 JRE. It needs to point to a Java 8 JDK.

Thanks.
I don’t think that’s it because I actually HAD it set to 8 JDK and have the same problem. I set it back to 10 because I was still trying things.

Hello,
It’s working now…but I’m still not sure why. Let me explain.
After several days of trying everything I could…including JRE & JDK 8 & 10, I could never get it to work.
Then I started thinking that maybe I’ve just messed things up by installing too many different things so I did a System Retore back to the point before I installed ANY JDK or JRE and before I installed Xampp and before I installed Lucee. I uninstalled Railo 4 (which had still been on the system) and even went through the Registry and deleted all remaining entries related to Railo. I then UNinstalled JAVA (everything, jre, jdk …Java etc)
Next I deleted ALL the Java folders under C:\Program Files

After doing all that, I restarted the system and downloaded a fresh copy of Xampp

I installed Xampp WITHOUT Tomcat (Only Apache Server and MySQL and PHP basically)

Next, I reinstalled Lucee. After doing this, it worked. So I’m not sure what exactly I did that got it to work.

Thank you (all who gave me advice) as it really helped me plow through this regardless.

If you you have and idea why it started working after doing the above by all means please let me know.

BTW…I DID NOT reinstall ANY JDK, JAVA or JRE whatsoever. I’m a bit surprised it worked without me doing that but it does.

Most likely the Tomcat installation for Lucee couldn’t bind to the TCP port because the other Tomcat instance was already bound to it.

1 Like

This is a bug in the windows batch file that creates the windows service. This script should be using the JRE that is shipped with the installer, but I must have missed something.

I will attempt to address this for the next installer build.

Thanks for reporting this.

@LuceeInTheSky If you still have the install.log file for one of those failed installs, that would be helpful in tracking down this issue.

The service.bat file included in the Tomcat directory is what creates the Lucee/Tomcat service. It’s possible with the XAMPP install there was a conflict (or mix-up or whatever) with the service name or a specific environment variable name. Having the install.log for one of the failed installs would tell me exactly what happened.

I just tried installing Lucee Express for 5.2.7 on a fresh iMAc and I get the same error:

-Djava.endorsed.dirs=/Users/modius/workbench/lucee-express-5.2.7.62/endorsed is not supported. Endorsed standards and standalone APIs
in modular form will be supported via the concept of upgradeable modules.

It’s annoying because Java 10 is now the default Java offering for Mac OS. It just looks like Lucee is broken. An interim solution might be some conditional logic in the ./startup.sh to check for Java 10 and warn the user, assuming we can’t patch that in a hurry.

@isapir @IamSigmund any chance we can get this running sooner rather than later?

@modius - as you probably know from our previous conversations, I am always in favor of supporting the most current stable stack.

Resolving this sooner rather than later is just a matter of prioritizing the issue.