Error installing 5.3.7.047 on existing Windows 2012 R2 machine with ACF 2016

We have a Windows Server 2012 R2 machine setup with ACF 2016. During install of Lucee using “lucee-5.3.7.047-pl0-windows-installer.exe” I get the following error on the “Securing Lucee Web Admins”:

Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly
Error setting passwords for Lucee admins. (did the service start?)

After clicking OK to continue it completes some other steps and then gives me the option to open the web admin. It does not load and gives the following error:

HTTP Status 500 – Internal Server Error
Type Exception Report
Message java.lang.NullPointerException
Description The server encountered an unexpected condition that prevented it from fulfilling the request.

I have tried variations on the drive and path I install to, running as administrator, ports used, stopping CF 2016 service first, not setting boot on start or iis connectors, and even a different password. The service does start. The install log shows the same message as I posted above during install.

Any ideas on other things to try here or known reasons this might happen? I’d rather not have to create this vm from scratch for the migration and I don’t know that will even help.

I was able to complete the install successfully by giving the virtual machine internet access. Not sure why that was necessary. :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

Did some more testing and found it requires valid dns server. I wonder what is going on under the hood on that step.

@danielmroberts, Please check any installer is running in services while before installing the lucee installer 5.3.7.47. Because if it running means, we would face the issue as you said above.

actually, there are some bugs in 5.3.7 which have been fixed, causing a default install to try and downloading some extra bundles from the update provider. this has been fixed in 5.3.8

https://luceeserver.atlassian.net/browse/LDEV-3236

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up on that update.

Is there anyway to work around the issue without internet access by setting up host file and path to forge a response? Would be ideal to install offline if possible.