Error creating reports using JFreeChart

We have a project that creates some reports using JFreeChart. Yesterday, that stopped working with the following error:

Lucee 5.2.3.35 Error (java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError)
Could not initialize class org.jfree.chart.JFreeChart
lucee.runtime.exp.NativeException: Could not initialize class org.jfree.chart.JFreeChart
at org.jfree.chart.ChartFactory.createBarChart3D(ChartFactory.java:1080)
at org.lucee.extension.chart.tag.Chart.chartBar(Chart.java:824)
at org.lucee.extension.chart.tag.Chart.doEndTag(Chart.java:483)
at csd.fieldlog.reports.dspfieldlogoepallreport_cfm$cf.call(/CSD/FieldLog/Reports/dspFieldLogOEPAllReport.cfm:153)
at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl._doInclude(PageContextImpl.java:939)
at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl._doInclude(PageContextImpl.java:833)
at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl.doInclude(PageContextImpl.java:817)
at csd.fieldlog.reports.index_cfm$cf.call(/CSD/FieldLog/Reports/index.cfm:184)
at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl._doInclude(PageContextImpl.java:939)
at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl._doInclude(PageContextImpl.java:833)
at lucee.runtime.listener.ClassicAppListener._onRequest(ClassicAppListener.java:63)
at lucee.runtime.listener.MixedAppListener.onRequest(MixedAppListener.java:44)
at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl.execute(PageContextImpl.java:2405)
at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl._execute(PageContextImpl.java:2395)
at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl.executeCFML(PageContextImpl.java:2363)
at lucee.runtime.engine.Request.exe(Request.java:46)
at lucee.runtime.engine.CFMLEngineImpl._service(CFMLEngineImpl.java:1048)
at lucee.runtime.engine.CFMLEngineImpl.serviceCFML(CFMLEngineImpl.java:996)
at lucee.loader.engine.CFMLEngineWrapper.serviceCFML(CFMLEngineWrapper.java:102)
at lucee.loader.servlet.CFMLServlet.service(CFMLServlet.java:62)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:230)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:165)
at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:192)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:165)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:198)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:96)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:474)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:140)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:79)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:87)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:349)
at org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpProcessor.service(AjpProcessor.java:478)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:66)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:798)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1434)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class org.jfree.chart.JFreeChart
… 42 more

Thanks for any help!
Harry

Any insights on this??? We have people relying on these reports and we’re getting pinged by management almost hourly asking when they’ll be back. Any help would REALLY be appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry

Did you install any updates or new extensions?

I updated the JFreeChart to 1.0.19.24 from 1.0.19.23. They used to work on .23 until 2 days ago, then suddenly stopped. I upgraded thinking that would help but it didn’t. I also upgraded Lucee to 5.2.3.35 at the same time. I even downgraded both to their previous versions and to no avail. Same issue on both versions of Lucee and JFreeChart.

Thanks,
Harry

OK, now this is strange: I had to restart tomcat for an issue in my other thread (about cfdocument producing a zero length file), and now the reports are showing up. Very odd.

Harry