I am curious how people have their development environments setup to contribute to the Lucee core/loader. This question is probably very similar to this one
My current process is very inefficient and I am hoping someone with more experience can shed some light on how to speed up development time for me. Basically what I have done is cloned the master branch and imported the two projects “core” and “loader” into eclipse. After editing a file to test my changes I will run “mvn clean install” which takes several minutes (with tests disabled) and eventually spits out a JAR. I then copy this JAR into the “tomcat/lib/ext” directory and restart it. After tomcat starts up I am able to see if my changes were successful or not.
As you can see this process is very slow and probably not the way it is intended to be done. If someone has a tutorial I can follow that would be great. What would be even better is if someone was kind enough to take some time and do a screen cast with me so that I can see their workflow and ask questions.
I found an old link that asks basically the same question as me but it doesn’t seem to have gone anywhere.
I have found a couple websites that I think might be helpful or are leading me in the right direction. The first one is how to setup a debug environment for extension development. It is kind of dated and assumes you are using Jetty but it got me started.
I got stuck in the above tutorial once it got to the debug configuration setup, since I am using Tomcat. I found another website that was very helpful in helping me get this last step out of the way.
I have Tomcat successfully running inside of eclipse but now I have to work out how to actually start developing the Lucee core and deploying my changes quickly, since I am not doing extension development right now. I am going to keep playing around with this and maybe I will figure it out and report back my findings.
I found this project on Github that seems promising https://github.com/dajester2013/lucee-debug after following all the steps I get class not found errors, I believe it has something to do with the bundles not being added to the class path. I feel like I am getting close but no cigar yet.